I've got absolutely no problem with the Mennonites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got absolutely no problem with the Mennonites

My coworker and I installed a plate rolling machine up in Fort Vermillion, Alberta, Canada over the last 2 days for a metal fabrication company. The place was family owned and operated by the father and his two sons. Their shop sat on about 1000 acres along with a couple of homes, a barn, tractors, a dump truck, and various cool gadgets, like a personal bulldozer. They are the only fab shop for about 1000 square kilometers and do quite a good amount of business.

These men reminded me of the Pennsylvania Dutch up in Lancaster PA, and the women were the Amish type, though not as hardcore. Dresses, hair in a bun, no makeup, very sturdy, and rigid in their mannerisms.

I did a little research behind the scenes and discovered that Fort Vermilion is occupied by Mennonites.

The men were hardworking men of good stock and high morals, and knew how to deal with metal profiles and fabricate with the best of them. They treated us Yanks with great respect and hospitality. They informed us on Tuesday that we were coming to the older son's home about a mile away for a family BBQ on Wednesday. They shut down at noon yesterday and we came over to another 1000 or so acre spread of land, and were treated to "BBQ Chicken Breast Steaks", salad greens, best potato salad I've ever had, the best iced tea I've ever had, and the best cherry cheesecake on the earth.

We sat with their family for two hours and had the best time ever! They found us Yanks quite hilarious, we managed to roll with laughter at each others stories and life experiences. I looked around the house and it became apparent that it was hand built by the men, and the drapes, comforters, quilts, tablecloths, etc, were made by the women. The wife ran a sewing enterprise from the house and made all the dresses for the many women in the town.

It was quite an experience that I won't soon forget. These folks were truly good people and though their society is different than ours, they definitely restored a little faith in fellow man.

Good Times!

Yeah man. They're really good people, for the most part.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      Yeah man. They're really good people, for the most part.
      Go on....

Comment

... so when's the Mennonite Bulldozer Story gonna get written?
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

How much for a virgin?
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by appelingogt View Post
            Go on....
            I lived in the part of PA that he referenced, and while it was mostly Amish, there were plenty of Mennonites, and we hired from both camps. You'd be surprised about the level of automation the Amish are familiar with. Their houses may not have one electrical wire in them, but their dairy barns are on the ragged edge of technology.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

One of his sons was the fire chief and the other son was his deputy lol! The wife was the dispatcher. They had to go deal with a tractor fire on Tuesday afternoon....

Apparently one of the locals had just finished wiring up a bunch of electronics in the $250,000 dollar 4 wheel drive rig, including a GPS guidance system, stereo system, etc...

I think there must have been a wiring problem with it, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                ... so when's the Mennonite Bulldozer Story gonna get written?
                LOL! I do have a pic of the bulldozer, and a few of the house I will post later.

I was dying to take pics of the family but did not want to disrespect them. I know the Amish in particular don't like their picture taken at all...

One of the daughters was eying me with a look I can only describe as curiosity, I think she sensed this Yank was a bit of a bad boy, ha ha!

Comment

We've got a family that have become customers of my buddy's car lot. They do home remodeling, and have been very polite and cordial when we've had dealings with them. Interesting people, for sure.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

We need more people like the Mennonites that aren't afraid of hard work.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Yep. These folks built everything in sight by hand, including BBQ smokers, a cement mixer, cleared their land, built their homes, shops, planted crops, help everyone in town, and support missionaries on their trips to the States and Mexico....

I have a feeling if you were to mess with their virgin daughters they would bury you alive and decapitate you with their bulldozer, lol.

Comment

If you havent already, follow Mike Rowe on facebook.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Born and raised around Mennonites and Amish in Pa. Both are very hard working Groups. Amish shunned the modern equipment where the Mennonites did use it.
                          Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            If you havent already, follow Mike Rowe on facebook.
                            I already do, and I also donate to the MikeRoweWorks foundation. It's something I feel very strongly about.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I already do, and I also donate to the MikeRoweWorks foundation. It's something I feel very strongly about.
                              I'm thinking of hosting them to do a show on the lemons races for Somebody's got to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X