Defend Your Cubicle With A Nerf Sentry Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defend Your Cubicle With A Nerf Sentry Gun

I don't think HSE would approve of me also putting a mag-switch on my door to activate it, but I want this.

Defend Your Cubicle With A Nerf Sentry Gun - You'll be the undefeatable champion with this one

By Dave Prochnow
    Posted 05.14.2014

Tell workplace pen thieves and pranksters how you really feel with a barrage of foam darts. This project hacks a Nerf gun to automatically fire at large heat signatures. Simply replace the toy’s trigger system with a servomotor, wire up a home security sensor, add an extended clip, and attach it all to a tripod. Anyone who steps into the sensor’s detection zone gets pelted with darts until they leave—or the clip runs out. Follow these instructions to deter would-be cubicle intruders.

Materials:
    • Nerf N-Strike Elite Stryfe gun (with clip)
    • Servomotor with an X-shaped arm
    • Single pole single throw (SPST) reed relay
    • Passive infrared (PIR) sensor (with 9V battery)
    • Roll of 22-gauge hook-up wire
    • Tripod
    • ΒΌ-inch nut and washer

Tools:
    • Phillips-head screwdriver
    • wire cutters
    • soldering iron

Instructions:
    • Disassemble the Nerf gun with the screwdriver and study the location of the parts inside (see diagram below).
    • Remove the electric trigger system, acceleration trigger, jam-clearing door, and one anti-jam feed finger from the muzzle. (You may need a knife.)
    • Disable the jam-clearing door’s safety switch by removing the part and reinserting it backward into its slot.
    • Solder the PIR to the SPST relay, and the SPST relay to the gun’s acceleration trigger switch (refer to the diagram below).
    • Mount the servomotor inside the gun so that its X-shaped servo arm rotates within the dart breech and can push a dart into the rear of the muzzle.
    • Solder the servomotor’s negative lead to the gun battery compartment’s negative terminal. Solder the output pole to the acceleration trigger switch.
    • Fasten the PIR to the tactical rail on top of the gun and attach the tripod to the heel of the toy’s handgrip with the nut and washer.
    • Reassemble the Nerf gun, aim the barrel (and sensor) at the usual point of intrusion, and dare your officemates to cross you again.

Diagram:

Tips:
    • Insert the 9V battery into the PIR first and wait for the servomotor to stop spinning, then load a clip into the Nerf gun.
    • Do not use fully loaded clips. Rather, insert only half the required number of darts for each clip capacity (e.g., three darts inside the standard six-dart clip).
    • Once activated, the PIR has a refractory period of approximately two to five seconds during which time the sentry will not fire.
    • Alignment errors with the servomotor can cause dart jams. Gently tweak your alignment until the darts are fed into the acceleration motor smoothly.
    • Dart firing will be rapid and continuous until the PIR sensor no longer detects movement.

Approximate time to build this project: 4 hours

Cost: About $65

Difficulty: 4/5

WARNING: These instructions will remove important safety features, could ruin the toy, and might even start a foam-dart arms race.

Human resources would lose their shit.

Comment

LOL @ "Foam -Dart Arms Race. "

Comment

I stopped reading at "extended clip"
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

We probably have 20 Nerf guns in our office and wars break out regularly. I have the Strongarm and Mega Centurion. They are fun, and help break up the day.

My ol' lady has a nephew that was down last Christmas, and he got nothing but Nerf guns and accessories for presents, and apparently had a big collection at home. He got a bunch of modification kits to make them shoot even further and faster. Apparently there are message boards dedicated to that stuff.

But this... This looks awesome. It would be hilarious to set up in a bathroom stall.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            We probably have 20 Nerf guns in our office and wars break out regularly. I have the Strongarm and Mega Centurion. They are fun, and help break up the day.

My ol' lady has a nephew that was down last Christmas, and he got nothing but Nerf guns and accessories for presents, and apparently had a big collection at home. He got a bunch of modification kits to make them shoot even further and faster. Apparently there are message boards dedicated to that stuff.

But this... This looks awesome. It would be hilarious to set up in a bathroom stall.
            Would be really funny until the guy that has a spastic colon was the one that walked in on it and shit himself. Actually that would be hilarious but could end you up in some...deep shit.
            QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              we probably have 20 nerf guns in our office and wars break out regularly. I have the strongarm and mega centurion. They are fun, and help break up the day.

My ol' lady has a nephew that was down last christmas, and he got nothing but nerf guns and accessories for presents, and apparently had a big collection at home. He got a bunch of modification kits to make them shoot even further and faster. Apparently there are message boards dedicated to that stuff.

But this... This looks awesome. it would be hilarious to set up in a bathroom stall.
              perfect

Comment

I can't find that big magazine on Nerf's site or Amazon. It may not exist.

I have been eye-balling the Hail Fire for a while. I'd go all out with the 18-round "clips" and 144 darts. It starts getting expensive quick, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                  Would be really funny until the guy that has a spastic colon was the one that walked in on it and shit himself. Actually that would be hilarious but could end you up in some...deep shit.

Comment

Nerf Vulcan Sentry Gun: In this instructable, I will show you how to modify a Nerf Vulcan to automatically aim and fire at targets.  As an added bonus, this gun won't fire at anyone wearing a shirt with the instructables robot on it. I had this project in mind for a l…

Why not build a version that can track targets?

Comment

belt fed would be terrific.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Saw that in Popular Science last month.. I actually thought about building one until looked at the instructions. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X