Police Confiscate Children’s Basketball Hoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Confiscate Children’s Basketball Hoop

Government even on the local level can get out of control.
    Check it out:

A Cleveland woman is speaking out after police officers confiscated a basketball hoop she purchased for children in her neighborhood.

Cheri Fiorilli, who purchased the hoop for several neighbor boys that regularly help her with yard work, attempted to stop police this week as they dragged the hoop away behind their vehicle.

According to Cleveland police, the young boys have been repeatedly warned that they are breaking the law by playing basketball in the street. Cell phone video captured by Fiorilli revealed one officer’s refusal to give any leeway regarding the hoop.

“There’s no warning,” the officer said. “There’s nothing I can do. There’s no leeway.”

Not only did officers confiscate the hoop, but Fiorilli was threatened with arrest before finally receiving a ticket.

“I need to see your driver’s license again,” one officer asks. “If not, I have to arrest you for refusing to comply.”
    Visibly upset, Fiorilli blasted the officer’s actions as well as the ticket and $182 in court fees she now faces.

“I’m not living like that,” Fiorilli told reporters. “I pay my taxes… I am ashamed. I am ashamed of what that man did, the example he set for these kids.”

Despite a post on the department’s Facebook page that admitted the officer “clearly handled it wrong,” the hoop still remains in police custody. The department showed no intention of backing off from the ticket as well.

While police argue that the law is about protecting children, many feel that everyday children’s activities are being targeted at an increasing pace as similar cases appear across the country.

In 2011, Delaware police and DOT officials used a dump truck to tear a family’s basketball hoop out of their front yard. Despite assurances by police that the hoop would be left in the family’s custody once removed, officers instead handed the hoop over to DOT employees.

Last year in Philadelphia, cell phone video captured one officer knocking over and breaking a basketball hoop as two young men attempted to play.

Unfortunately, simply playing outside is now considered dangerous and abusive by some. A Texas mother was arrested for allowing her children to ride scooters outside her home in 2012 after a neighbor reported the mundane activity to police. The mother was charged with child endangerment and spent a night in jail before charges were eventually dropped.

This article was posted: Friday, May 9, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

Comment

Yeah, lets punish the kids that don't have their faces buried in an iPad. Brilliant.

Comment

I'm starting to see shit really getting out of hand...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.
          Nicely done.

Comment

While I think taking the goal in that manner is a bit excessive, try to think of it from a homeowners perspective.

Kids bouncing a ball until all hours of the night feet from your bedroom window, it says they've been warned in the past. Perhaps the playing in the street violation is a way to squelch all the noise complaints.

Maybe that street is an emergency snow route, it is Ohio and they have some fucked up laws.
            The richest man in Babylon

Comment

I remember when I lived in Arlington the neighbor put one in concrete at the end of the culdesac and the city made him take it down after awhile because of "Liability" of someone getting hurt on the concrete. This was in like 1993.

Comment

Was this on a busy street?

Comment

Reason #15432 not to live in Cleveland
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                    Was this on a busy street?
                    Not at all. The end of the culdesac had a barrier and then a huge field.

Comment

It's hard to take any article seriously that originated from Alex Jones' website. You should find more reputable news source(s), Frost.

Comment

I bet you one of the neighbors complained, which prompted the police involvement. Probably had to slow down or wait 2.8 seconds while the kids stepped out of the way. The horror.

Too many fucking idiots out there are so concerned with getting their way, and don't give a shit how much it hurts others.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                          You should find more reputable news source(s), Frost.
                          That'd take w-a-y too much work. He's the MSNBC of the tin foil hat club.

Comment

I see nothing wrong, I mean, was anybody shot???

Comment

Working...
                            X