Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge text file I need to edit. Something better than Excel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge text file I need to edit. Something better than Excel?

I have an 8mb text file full of offices, phone numbers, and lots of undesirable symbols and spaces. Talking it started out with over 191,000 lines. I imported it into Excel and managed to carve out over half getting it down to about 82,000 by deleting duplicate lines and blank lines, but I am still left with a mess to work with. I don't have any scripting experience. I am wanting to learn how to eliminate the multiple spaces, asterisks, periods, and such, but if I were to sort the data, I will wreck the whole thing. Any ideas?

Once I am all done, I would like to learn how to create some kind of interface where I could type in an office name (they use 3 letter symbols like airports do) and it would bring up all the contacts for that site.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

youtube that shit.

Comment

Control f/ replace to remove the unwanted characters...unless you just delete the whole row, then you can just use a filter

82k lines might slow your processor down for a sec though
      Originally posted by Sean88gt
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Does it have a known format/layout (ie name in columns 1-20, office code in columns 21-23, phone in columns 25-34, etc.)?
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
          Does it have a known format/layout (ie name in columns 1-20, office code in columns 21-23, phone in columns 25-34, etc.)?
          No, I wish it did. Its pretty jumbled. I am thinking a lot of what I will have to do is manual.

Comment

Throw it on a Linux/Unix box and use awk/sed to search or replace shit. Or vi, a little harder but still works.

Comment

sounds like you should be using microsoft access, not excel.

import that data to a table.
              use a query to delete duplicates.
              sort however you want.

you can build your interface (called a form).
              www.hppmotorsports.com
              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
                sounds like you should be using microsoft access, not excel.

import that data to a table.
                use a query to delete duplicates.
                sort however you want.

you can build your interface (called a form).
                I never worked with it before. I do have it installed and found some tutorials on youtube so I guess I will learn. I don't have access to much of the other ideas suggested. I will figure it out Monday.

Comment

ms access is complicated shit if you dont know how to use it.

If it isnt very personal info, jump on elance and pay someone $5 to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    ms access is complicated shit if you dont know how to use it.

If it isnt very personal info, jump on elance and pay someone $5 to do it.
                    I wish. Pretty confidential stuff though I can't share out. I will keep it in mind for the future though.

Comment

You can download notepad++ for free; i think it will handle a file of that size.

Comment

Working...
                      X