COPSLIE vanity plate Constitutional in NH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPSLIE vanity plate Constitutional in NH

Well, this guy is going to have a dead dog and crack sprinkled on him...

CONCORD, N.H. —The state Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that that New Hampshire violated a man's free speech rights when it rejected his request to put "COPSLIE" on a license plate.

In the unanimous decision, the Supreme Court said New Hampshire's law is unconstitutionally vague by prohibiting vanity plates that "a reasonable person would find offensive to good taste."

David Montenegro, who two years ago legally changed his name to "human," said in November 2013 that he wanted the vanity plate to express opinions about the police.

"If i could condense all of the problems that I've seen in New Hampshire government into a single sound bite small enough to fit on a license plate, 'Cops lie' would be it," he said.

The Department of Motor Vehicles said the plate's message was offensive to good taste. But the justices said the standard is unconstitutionally vague because it is "so loosely constrained (that it) authorizes or even encourages arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement."

The state Supreme Court went on to say in its opinion that while a separate part of the rule prohibits obscene plates, the phrase "offensive to good taste" is not defined in the regulation.

The court said that while the DMV relied on reasonable people to decide what's offensive, "reasonable people frequently come to different conclusions."

There were a number of other items raised in the appeal, such as whether vanity plates constitute a public forum, but the court said because it had already found the restriction unconstitutional, it wasn't necessary to decide those issues.

The case has been sent back to Superior Court for final disposition.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/court-expec...#ixzz313F1velz

If a New Hampshire man thinks cops lie, he's free to say so on his license plate, the state's highest court ruled Wednesday.

What's next, 4VR-FRST plates trying to be banned!

Comment

Already have those plates on my bike. You should see the admiring looks I get when I do a memorial ride.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Should have asked for SHOOTME, sounds like the guy likes drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
          Should have asked for SHOOTME, sounds like the guy likes drama.
          are you referring to Human Montenegro?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            are you referring to Human Montenegro?
            Racist
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Racist
              my knee grow!
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

LOL! I picture the guy is a d bag hipster working at Starbucks.

Comment

Working...
                X