Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot water heater flood at my house, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water heater flood at my house, need help!

Long story short my hot water heater flooded my garage and 3 rooms over the weekend. I have an insurance claim in and I had a water emergency company over to rip out carpet and start the drying out process.

My adjuster today said they can not get anyone out to survey the damage until next Thursday. They said I can get quotes ready for carpet replacement and such, but I need someone to look at the walls as well seeing as the water made it through 2 of them at least. I also have to get a list of things got damaged in the leak.

I have never been through this. Who do I call for the walls and such to see if any damage occurred there? Carpet installers seem easy enough, but I'd rather work with one company or contractor if possible. Seems like I'm doing most of the work, not Insurance. I have a plumber coming today for the water heater replacement, and of course most of the parts aren't covered under my Home Shield warranty......

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

How about you let me stain your concrete instead and don't have to worry about shitty carpet ever again!

But that does suck, dude.

Comment

just let the adjuster come out and do his job.

I had hardwoods in my house, and they paid to replace them all, R&R any sheetrock, baseboards, etc. Paint.

Mine only leaked into about 40sq feet and I ended up with over $20,000 for repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        just let the adjuster come out and do his job.

I had hardwoods in my house, and they paid to replace them all, R&R any sheetrock, baseboards, etc. Paint.

Mine only leaked into about 40sq feet and I ended up with over $20,000 for repairs.
        Holy shit, lol.

I'll need carpet in 2 bedrooms and a big hallway at minimum. Probably more to make it all match and stuff.

With the adjuster not coming out for another week plus they said I can get quotes and use who I want if I choose that route. Never had to deal with it so I don't know the proper way to go about it. I got Allstate to send over the flood peeps to save any more damage and limit mold chances, but still, waiting almost 2 weeks after the incident to send an adjuster seems just bad. I don't know who to contact to check for damages to walls or anything that the water got past.

Comment

BTW it took over 3-4 months to get my house back in complete order, but I used two different companies to do the work, one flooring company and a remodel guy for painting, baseboards, etc.

Comment

In all honesty, the walls will be fine I'm sure. Sheetrock too, depending on how high the water got.

Getting wet isn't an issue. Repeated wet/dry/wet/dry/wet/dry is what will fuck up the wood.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What insurance do you have where it is taking them so long to come out?

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
                What insurance do you have where it is taking them so long to come out?
                He said Allstate

But water damage sux, neighbor had same thing had to replace the wood floors.

Comment

Any of you guys had a hot water heater relocated to the garage? Mine is in the center of my house and it makes me a bit paranoid. Had one pop at my last house but luckily it was in the garage and I was home when it happened. I can't imagine that much water inside my house, swirling around all this vintage furniture. Sucks to hear, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Any of you guys had a hot water heater relocated to the garage? Mine is in the center of my house and it makes me a bit paranoid. Had one pop at my last house but luckily it was in the garage and I was home when it happened. I can't imagine that much water inside my house, swirling around all this vintage furniture. Sucks to hear, Mike.
                    Major pain in the dick. I doubt you could even find anyone willing to do it. If on a slab foundation anyways.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Major pain in the dick. I doubt you could even find anyone willing to do it. If on a slab foundation anyways.

Yup, slab. I kind of figured. Guess I should just replace them every 5 years or so and go with the longest warranty they've got. Seemed like my dad was replacing ours in our old house almost every other year. The one I've got looks like it has some age on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                        How about you let me stain your concrete instead and don't have to worry about shitty carpet ever again!

But that does suck, dude.
                        [passiveaggressive]You still do that? I wasn't sure. [/passiveaggressive]

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          Thanks man. Yeah it's been a pain. Nothing like getting home a midnight to see water just pouring out of your garage.

Hopefully it'll all work out, but with the cost of my copay and the new water heater I'm way in the hole already.

Comment

If I had to replace mine, I'd go tank less. Saves space and you can crank the shit outa it to get super hot water! Well, if you have NG at least.

Comment

Could always go tank less water heater option...

Comment

Working...
                              X