Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost's friend intentionally avoids saluting American flag

Army soldier accused of avoiding flag salute, posting image on social media

FORT CARSON, Colo. – Officials at Fort Carson in Colorado said Wednesday they are investigating reports that a soldier posted a photo on Instagram of herself deliberately avoiding saluting the flag, touching off a storm of criticism from a group representing families who lost loved ones.

Base officials issued a statement Wednesday saying they are aware of a social media post allegedly made by Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey indicating she stayed in her car to avoid a flag ceremony and they are looking into the situation.

Comments posted with the photo showing a female soldier in uniform relaxing in a car said "This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the (5 p.m. flag ceremony)." Her comments also told people to keep any angry responses to themselves. The story was first reported by the Army Times.

The initial post was later taken down.

According to the Department of Defense policies on social media posted on the web, soldiers are required to refrain from posting any comments or visual images that could hurt the military and ask permission before sending out any sensitive information.

Fort Carson officials said Wednesday they will continue to educate soldiers on standards and discipline and appropriate professional conduct on social media. A news conference was scheduled to discuss the issues Wednesday.

Ami Neiberger-Miller, spokeswoman for the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors, which has helped 44,000 people who have lost loved ones since 1994, said Wednesday thousands of people have lost their lives fighting for the American flag.

"I think any patriotic person would find this offensive," she said.

Neiberger-Miller said this is the second serious incident in a week. Last week, two Wisconsin National Guard members were suspended in an investigation stemming from a photograph showing soldiers clowning around by an empty flag-draped casket at a guard training facility.

The photograph shows soldiers mugging for the camera around the empty casket. It shows 14 men and women posing, some lightheartedly. Two pairs of men hug playfully, another man has his back turned and is pointing off in the distance, and a kneeling woman flashes a peace sign.

The caption reads, "We put the FUN in funeral -- your fearless honor guard from various states."

Fort Carson spokeswoman Dani Johnson said Sheffey wasn't available for comment on Wednesday and attempts to reach the Wisconsin soldiers have been unsuccessful.

Lol Tariqka Sheffey...(try typing that with auto correct).

I thought q's should always be followed with the letter u? This brought to you by the letter "N".
    The richest man in Babylon

Comment

Seems like it is always females screwing up this way.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

This is the best you have? This was handled quite a while ago.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT
          Base officials issued a statement Wednesday saying they are aware of a social media post allegedly made by Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey indicating she stayed in her car to avoid a flag ceremony and they are looking into the situation.

Comments posted with the photo showing a female soldier in uniform relaxing in a car said "This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the (5 p.m. flag ceremony)."

Neiberger-Miller said this is the second serious incident in a week. Last week, two Wisconsin National Guard members were suspended in an investigation stemming from a photograph showing soldiers clowning around by an empty flag-draped casket at a guard training facility.

The photograph shows soldiers mugging for the camera around the empty casket. It shows 14 men and women posing, some lightheartedly. Two pairs of men hug playfully, another man has his back turned and is pointing off in the distance, and a kneeling woman flashes a peace sign.

The caption reads, "We put the FUN in funeral -- your fearless honor guard from various states."
          Wow. 14 soldiers involved, but only two suspended?

Comment

If memory serves, and it's been known not to, the soldiers were removed from funeral detail which is a pretty big deal. Yep, Feb 18. Not exactly breaking news but eh.

Just days after an Air Force POW/MIA photo scandal broke, a National Guard servicemember who posted on social media controversial photos and comments regarding military funerals has been removed from her duties pending the outcome of an investigation.

WASHINGTON — Just days after an Air Force POW/MIA photo scandal broke, a Wisconsin National Guard servicemember who posted controversial photos and comments regarding military funerals on social media has been removed from her duties pending the outcome of an ongoing investigation, the Wisconsin National Guard said in a press release Tuesday.

The photos and comments appeared on the Instagram page of Spc. Terry Harrison, a member of the Madison, Wis.-based 1st Battalion, 147th Aviation Regiment. Harrison has since been removed from the funeral detail indefinitely, according to the Wisconsin National Guard.

One of the photos shows a group of soldiers in Army Combat Uniforms, some posing disrespectfully around a flag-draped training casket, along with a caption that reads, ‘‘We put the FUN in funeral — your fearless honor guard from various states.” The other photo shows Harrison in a car, and the comment below it reads, “It’s so damn cold out. Why have a funeral outside!? Somebody’s getting a jacked up flag,” suggesting that the family of a fallen servicemember would receive an unprofessionally presented American flag during the ceremony because of the poor weather.

Harrison is the only member of the Wisconsin National Guard who appears in the training casket photo. The other soldiers in the photo belong to other units, according to Maj. Paul Rickert, the Wisconsin National Guard’s director of public affairs. Rickert said he does not know the identity of the other soldiers.

The Wisconsin National Guard described the photos and comments as “distasteful,” and said the organization first became aware of them late Monday. The images have gone viral on social media, and closely follow the discovery of another photo, showing an airman posing disrespectfully with a POW/MIA logo, which created a firestorm on the Internet.

The photos and comments do not portray any misconduct during the performance of actual military funeral honors. The group photo with the training casket was taken at the Professional Education Center, a National Guard training facility in North Little Rock, Ark., the Wisconsin National Guard said.

Mothers of fallen servicemembers took to the Internet to express their outrage over the photos and comments.

“We donated the casket our Lance came home to us in to the [National Guard] to use when they practice. So this is tearing me up,” Tammy Eakes, a mother of National Guard soldier Sgt. Lance Oliver Eakes, who was killed in Iraq in 2008, said in a statement which appeared on the ChicagoNow blog Tuesday. “I hate they have belittled the Guard this way.”

“They do not deserve the honor of serving our country. They certainly don’t have the mindset to carry a flag-covered coffin. I pray their families never have to accept a flag ‘on behalf of the President of the United States’,” Karen Meredith, mother of 1st Lt. Ken Ballard, who was killed in action in Iraq 2004, said in a statement. “We GS (Gold Star) Moms are no wilting flowers. Do NOT disrespect our children, or there will be hell to pay!”

Rickert understands why people are offended, according to the news release.

“The Wisconsin National Guard expects all soldiers who carry out this sacred detail to handle it with professionalism and honor … A military funeral is the final show of respect for our veterans and their families, and we take that solemn duty very seriously,” Rickert said. “The very name ‘military funeral honors’ underscores the importance we ascribe — both as the military and society at large — to such solemn occasions. These photos and comments do not appear to align with those values.”

Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, the Wisconsin adjutant general who ordered the investigation, said he was “appalled” by the photos and comments and he finds them “offensive.”

“We expect all of our soldiers and airmen to live by a core set of values, in word and deed,” Dunbar said in the release.

Gen. Frank Grass, the Chief of the National Guard Bureau at the Pentagon, has directed the Army National Guard to conduct its own investigation of the matter, he said in a statement.

“I am confident the Army National Guard will quickly resolve this matter and take swift and appropriate action,” Grass said.

Harrison has received threats via social media and the National Guard has taken measures to ensure her safety, the Wisconsin National Guard said. She could not be reached by Stars and Stripes for comment.
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
            X