Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NTTA to team up with DPS to catch habitual toll violators .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTTA to team up with DPS to catch habitual toll violators .

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/NTTA-...257611981.html

DALLAS — The North Texas Tollway Authority is taking a bold step to recoup millions in unpaid tolls across North Texas.

Starting in the month of May, NTTA and DPS will team up to begin pulling over habitual toll violators, and in some cases, towing their vehicles.

“People have had every notice," said Michael Rey, of NTTA. "The folks who are in this category are blatantly violating the terms of the roadway."

NTTA’s ban will first start with 500 drivers. And after some time, 500 more. NTTA officials hope to get the attention of 6,000 drivers by the end of the year. Rey says every one of these drivers will be process-served with notices. That notice calls for 10 days to either appeal or pay up.

To make this notorious list, Rey says drivers must have at least 100 outstanding tolls and two NTTA failure to pay notices.

“I was on that list," said Steven Porter, who went to the NTTA Thursday. "I’m not high up on that list, but I’m on that list.

He didn’t disclose how much he has to pay in fines but said it’s more than $5,000.

The list of habitual violators started with 75,000 names and it’s now down to 30,000 in Texas.

If Porter doesn’t pay, DPS will be on him and new license readers will be scanning for his license plates. NTTA has just purchased four new license readers that are mobile and will be placed in different areas of toll roads every day.

“They match them to a list of habitual violators eligible for ban," Rey said. "If they trigger one, the command center will relay that to DPS troopers and they will pull over the vehicle."

NTTA tells us the first time toll violators get pulled over they will get a citation, a fine up to $500 and a Class C Misdemeanor. Rey says if the trooper realizes you have been using the toll roads several times without paying, your car may be impounded. And getting the car returned will require the violator to pay the fines or set up a payment plan.
    I think it is BS that a private agency is now able to use public servants to collect their money for them. Unless, the NTTA became a TX-DOT or DPS entity and I missed it. I honestly hate the toll roads now; they have just as much traffic as 35/360/75/ or any other highway around here…
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

time to vote from the rooftops
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Pay the damn toll or stay off of it in rush hr it doesn't matter what u do
      Your gonna sit in traffic.

Comment

What a crock of shit. I love how this country keeps finding new ways to extort its citizens. Hooray for debtors prison. Of late, the North Texas Tollway Authority has been testing out a host of new methods to encourage drivers to pay their tolls. The agency will block your vehicle registration and impound your car. It

called it!

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
          Pay the damn toll or stay off of it in rush hr it doesn't matter what u do

Exactly. I mean it isn't like we don't triple fund roads already, just everyone pay up and stop complaining because your representatives can't balance a budget and they've told you what to do. Always obey your overlords, you petulant swine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
            I think it is BS that a private agency is now able to use public servants to collect their money for them. Unless, the NTTA became a TX-DOT or DPS entity and I missed it. I honestly hate the toll roads now; they have just as much traffic as 35/360/75/ or any other highway around here…
            Back in 2012, NTTA started this program of "banning" people from the tollways. The program was asserting rights under chapter 366 of the Texas Transportation Code which grant toll authorities the right to prohibit vehicles from using or accessing turnpike projects.

The article quoted is unclear, but the people they are banning are not just "overdue" - they've been served in a JP court for outstanding tolls and have a failure to appear warrant on them.

They've either escaped notice because of bad address/contact info - so the one thing they do have is the license plate. They are setting up the new plate reader cameras as a net to not catch speeders or those who are late on the tolls, but people who've dodged court and have a warrant out for them (and their car is the biggest identifier).

I think the article is also written as a scare tactic for those that either have a bill out of date or are past due.

I hate NTTA and the cost i pay for taking 190. But I do see that as a State, our infrastructure is woefully behind and in comparison to other highways, 190 and 161 are pretty well maintained.

Comment

Isn't NTTA a quasi-government entity, so I don't see an issue with public servant/private company here?
              Ford
              GM
              Toyota
              VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                Isn't NTTA a quasi-government entity, so I don't see an issue with public servant/private company here?
                They are completely separate from the State. There is a board of directors (hello Jerry Jones) and they essentially run the whole thing. They buy up private land, strike a deal with the city and build away.

I don’t have a problem with them banning people from the road or use of their services, stealing is stealing. My concern is the fact that a private entity has enough political pull (the problem) to pursue criminal charges (JP subpoena) against a citizen because they (NTTA) do not have enough resources to impose their own laws on their private roads. So now, the citizens who pay these public officials are essentially paying these folks to penalize them for not paying the NTTA who are the buddies of the public officials.
                You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I understand people's concerns over NTTA using DPS to pull people over. If that's criminal proceedings, yeah I think I've got a problem with it. If it's civil only, no biggie as far as I'm concerned. Does DPS arrest these habitual offenders? Are they charged in criminal court?

If this is only civil stuff, than this is no different than the constable serving a notice to you of being sued, or calling out the sheriff to start moving your shit out of a house or apartment, or seizing assets to pay a debt that were awarded in court after judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
                    I understand people's concerns over NTTA using DPS to pull people over. If that's criminal proceedings, yeah I think I've got a problem with it.
                    From the story:
                    NTTA tells us the first time toll violators get pulled over they will get a citation, a fine up to $500 and a Class C Misdemeanor.

Comment

Still aint payin
                      Originally posted by Da Prez
                      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                      Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                        Still aint payin
                        Video that shit, especially the second time when they take your ride and you to jail, lol.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The citation is a trespassing charge.

Comment

Kelly Crowson...... Attorney at Law

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                            Still aint payin
                            She will bail you out....awk, awk......
                            sigpic
                            "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                            through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                            We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                            my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Slippery slope....

Comment

Working...
                              X