• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Car Washes?

Is this the death of car washes?

Nissan bets you won’t mind so much.
    w

So shiny! (Image source: Autoblog)

Engineers with the Japanese auto giant have developed the world’s first “self-cleaning car,” using a special kind of paint.

Nissan engineers in Britain are testing ‘nano-paint technology’ which repels dirt before it has a chance to paintwork.

“Shown on a European Note hatchback, the key is a special layer of super-hydrophobic and oleophobic material called Ultra-Ever Dry that is sprayed over the paint, Autoblog reported. “It creates a protective layer between the body and environment, and it means that when dirt or water come into contact with the car, the gunk just sheets away.”
    w

The nano-paint was applied to one side of the car. (Image source: YouTube)

Nissan released a video showcasing the super-slick paint and it’s repellant powers. After the driver takes the car along a muddy, wet road, the paint proves its worth: the dirt and sludge just slides off the side with the nano-paint.

The automaker admits this is just a test phase, but is pitching the new paint jobs — which will be available on the Nissan Note — as the end of car-washing chores.

“So far, the coating … has responded well to common use cases including rain, spray, frost, sleet and standing water,” Nissan said in a statement. “Whilst there are currently no plans for the technology to be applied to the model as standard, Nissan will continue to consider the coating technology as a future aftermarket option.”

Check it out; you may never have to deal with dirty sponges and cold water on a Saturday morning again!

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I would pay for that
    BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
    I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
    PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

Good market but it has to last a year at least.

Comment

Bug guts, sap, bird shit?

Comment

I have to call bullshit on this. If it were invented, it would have spread across the industry like an A-bomb. If it was true it would severely change a huuuuge portion of the automotive industry. It would make the new F150 look like a ripple in the water.

Comment

LMFAO!! that shit wont work.. only showing mud... what about daily debris?
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

How does this protect against pelicans?
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                Bug guts, sap, bird shit?
                Oleophobic and hydrophobic. They wouldn't be able to bond with the surface
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Similar technology same principle.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE[/ame]
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

They've made stuff like this for years. Nothing new here, Nissan...

Comment

Working...
                    X