Iowa cops seize $50,000 from couple without charging them with a crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa cops seize $50,000 from couple without charging them with a crime

A Minnesota couple is suing the Iowa City Police Department to return almost $50,000, arguing police wrongfully seized that cash. Kearnice Overton was driving with his four kids on I-80 when Iowa City police pulled him over for speeding. Police brought a K-9 unit and based on the dog giving a “silent indicator on the vehicle,” police searched Overton’s car. They found $48,000.

Going rate for putting down a dog?

Comment

No where in that article is the claim substantiated. Police report, inventory, etc....

Sounds like somebody got pissed over a revoked dl and made up a story.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
      I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
        No where in that article is the claim substantiated. Police report, inventory, etc....

Sounds like somebody got pissed over a revoked dl and made up a story.
        He had a valid dl at the time according to this story: http://www.press-citizen.com/story/n...ation/8054023/

Comment

What get's me is the "silent indicator," that's overly convenient for a search.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
            What get's me is the "silent indicator," that's overly convenient for a search.
            No shit. Handlers can easily make their dogs act as if they've found something.

Comment

Working...
            X