Telescope questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telescope questions

Im thinking of buying my daughter (and myself) a Telescope for her birthday. Just curious if anyone on here knows about them and can recommend a brand/type to buy for beginners. We have both been watching Cosmos and she is really interested in the talk about stars and planets. So maybe she will enjoy this enough to make a small hobby out of it.

The stuff I have read just says the stronger the magnification the wider your lens should be. But other then that I have no idea what to look for.

Give these guys a call, they are probably your best source for info.

THE OBSERVATORY, INC.
    (972) 248-1450
    (972) 248-1334 ( FAX)
    17390 Preston Road
    Suite 370
    Dallas, TX. 75252
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I can't recommend a brand or model, but definitely go with one that has software and can be controlled with a laptop. It can be frustrating trying to locate what you want and keep adjusting as the earth rotates. It's a lot of fun though once you're dialed in.
      The richest man in Babylon

Comment

I would go with a 10'' lens, 4-5'' lens is ok but just doesnt give you much detail..I was looking at Saturn and Jupiter on saturday with a 4.7'' and you can make out the cloud belts on Jupiter and see the moons pretty good..it was pretty neat cause i think i was looking through the asteriod belt and seen thousands of asteriods passing in front of my view..and you could see Saturn and the rings pretty good too

Also with a 10'' you will be able to see some color

Comment

Yeah I'm debating what to spend on one.. Don't want to go to crazy in case she doesn't get into like I think she will.. But I know I would use it a lot as well.

What makes the 10" show more color or the 4-5". Just the amount of light they take in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dinger View Post

What makes the 10" show more color or the 4-5". Just the amount of light they take in?
            Yes. It'll work just like the F-Stop on a camera lense, the more open the lens, the more light it allows in.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I also agree on spending the extra cash to get an electronic one with software...especially for someone just starting out...it can be a pain to locate something and then have it move out of view within 45secs

Comment

I believe there are pretty regular gatherings of hobbyists and the like out at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. I would look into going to one of their events and chatting with some of the people out there.

Comment

I have heard this is a good group.

Upcoming meeting tomorrow......

Date: Friday, April 25th, 2014; 7:30pm

We will be in our usual meeting room at UTD, the Science Learning Center (SLC), room# SLC.1.102. Here's a map. Only park in lots H, I, or J. Parking anywhere else on campus could result in a ticket.

Speaker: Dr. Lindsay King, Associate Professor, UTD

Topic: Galaxy Clusters: Properties and Observations
                  Mustangs previously owned:
                  1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                  1992 LX AOD
                  1993 LX Drag Car
                  1995 GTS
                  1997 Cobra
                  2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                  Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                  2016 Honda Accord Touring
                  2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Working...
                  X