Sheriff ran air surveillance over Compton without telling residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff ran air surveillance over Compton without telling residents

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department acknowledged this week that Compton residents were not notified of an airborne video-surveillance program that was tested in 2012.

"No notification to the residents was made because this system was being tested in a city where cameras were already deployed and the system was only being evaluated," the department said in a statement released Tuesday.

Officials said the department decided the program was not useful and dropped it after the test period.

Under the nine-day trial program in January 2012, a video camera was mounted on a small plane that was deployed for six-hour periods during the day, the department said.

The plane, which flew out of Long Beach Airport, was operated by a private company that provides airborne surveillance technology.

The department said Compton was chosen, in part, because it features 10 square miles of flat topography. But the resolution of the video footage was not sufficient to allow authorities to identify people who might have been involved in breaking the law, according to the department.

"The images from the surveillance footage weren't clear enough," said Nicole Nishida, a department spokeswoman.

This month, the Bay-Area based Center for Investigative Reporting and the KQED public radio station reported on airborne surveillance systems used by law enforcement, including the program used in Compton.

The report noted people in Compton had heard little about the surveillance program.

The department said 20 surveillance cameras are deployed in city parks and monitored to help keep the community safe.
    The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department acknowledged this week that Compton residents were not notified of an airborne video-surveillance program that was tested in 2012.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Straight outta Compton!

Comment

Why can't we just admit that the police profile and that stereotypes exist because they are based on truth?

That said, fuck them, even though Compton is pretty much just an open air prison anyways.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Well, if they were not breaking the law. They had nothing to worry about. They should be happy the law was watching out for their neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          Straight outta Compton!
          Straight off the trailer.......

I live in the LA area and Compton & Watts are a couple of places I'd go out of my way to avoid.

Comment

I swear Frost needs to start up on his website for all these post

Comment

Not sure why this is news worthy. Because residents weren't told? If they were just testing (being demonstrated) I'm not sure what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Not sure why this is news worthy. Because residents weren't told? If they were just testing (being demonstrated) I'm not sure what the problem is.
                Searches without a warrant of private property.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Ever thought about getting your J.D.? Just about every one here would hire you!

Comment

Are you serious???

Don't answer that.

It's not a search. If a news helicopter could film your back yard, then it is no different for a drone.

Comment

If they collected evidence with it and charged you with a crime then what?

Never know when grandma is going to be growing a garden out back. better raid her place over some tomato plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        Straight outta Compton!
                        The plane, which flew out of Long Beach Airport, was operated by a private company that provides airborne surveillance technology.
                        Compton and Long Beach together, now you know you're in trouble.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                          If they collected evidence with it and charged you with a crime then what?

Never know when grandma is going to be growing a garden out back. better raid her place over some tomato plants.
                          If they did that, then I may have a problem with it. But they didn't.

Comment

Ellis County has been doing this for years. Only way people knew about it was the news paper did a story on it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              If they did that, then I may have a problem with it. But they didn't.
                              I agree. Who cares? The government and police have enough strikes against them, but this isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X