Car Guys: Born Or Bred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
    My dad was a doctor and a work a holic (I'm the same less the Doctor part but I try to spend as much time as possible with him when I'm home) so I didn't see him much until I was a teenager. It's funny now that I work on my dad's cars at their ranch because he doesn't know how to. But, he enjoys standing there with me just like my son does.

And you are in for treat. I swapped out the chrome bumper caps for color matched ones on my silverado last night. My boy was standing next to me and handing me things i didn't need the whole time. He giggled and smiled everytime I told him he was doing a great job. I swore up and down I didn't want Kids for 28 years before we had him. Now I can't imagine life without him and look forward to all the Father/Son stuff.
    Odd how that works isn't it?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

My dad worked on his car in the garage out of necessity, and I was standing next to him out of a narcissistic want to know what everything was and did.

I dont have a picture of the actual car, but this one is same y/m/m/color.

My grandparents loved to tell stories about me at christmas, just after I learned to put syllables together, opening a gift, saying "no car" and tossing it off to the side.

There's no doubt I was born with it. None of my family were into cars, never thought of racing, or anything like it.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I come from a good background of cars, whether it be circle track cars, drag cars or the street car, their has always been one around. With my Grandpa fathering 9 Kids 5 of which were boys. They always have stories about my Grandpa's tilt frontend tubbed Henry J. Yellow with slot mags. How it would jerk the front tires on the street with sometimes 3 of the boys in the floor board. lol. He actually raced another guy in town for titles and won another Henry J. They have stayed a pair as they have been swapped around. I know where the pair are, one is a driver the other sits behind the shop. I can't get him to sell it to me even with the history of the car. First job I ever had was running the E.T shack, handing out time slips at the local dragstrip when I was 13 years old. But I went full on Ford guy when my Dad went and test drove a 64 Falcon Sprint. Had that car for 13 years before we let it go. Been looking for another since. I guess you could say I'm a born car guy.

The only downfall is being the car guy in the family is I'm the first one called when a family members car breaks. And of course I fix them.
        Last edited by redrocket5.0; 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I was raised by my grandparents and neither were car people. I remember as a kid my favorite thing to do was to ride in my granddad’s 62’ Chevy step side with the wrap around windshield. I would stand in the seat and lean with my hands on the windshield and the party was on! My first car was a Camry and I remember thinking it was the most uncool car ever, but it did good parking break stops and was hell on dirt roads.. Lol My first car I bought on my own was a 85 corvette. I went to look at a 4-wheeler and came home in the 1985 corvette with a shitty interior. My granddad hated. It only took one ride in it with my grandmother, with the t-tops off and she loved it. And my grandmother even kicked my granddad’s truck out of our garage for my vette.. I’ve made great friends over the years due to an interest in cars and thank the Lord my buddies are more mechanically apt than me and have helped when I get in over my head with my projects….
          81' chevy rcswb truck bagged on duce dubs- ls1/4L60e
          78' chevy rcswb truck-l92 headed-lq4/4l80e, 4:10's
          94' ecswb chevy with lq4/4l80e, under the knife!
          67' caddy vert
          Pit Bulls are one of the most stable people-friendly dogs in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate!

Comment

I think we are born into it. My daughter sure was!

I was a little gear head as a kid and I was very into dirt bikes. I put new rings in my QA50 about every three weeks because I'd burn them up LOL..... I had some serious dirt bikes including a very radical Yamaha YZ400 motocross bike (and I only weighed 110 lbs at the time so the power to weight ratio was awesome). I then graduated to a hot street bike that i modified with expansion chambers. By that time I was closing in on 16 and needed a car so I inherited a cast off grand prix with a nice 400 in it that would remove tread from the rear tires with a quickness LOL...... and along with the tread disappearing came the tickets LOL......

Then came the trans am and eventually visits to green valley drag city and I was hooked on racing.

I just never had the money to pursue what I wanted to do although I got close before the financial bottom dropped out; the race car and all of the stuff I was accumulating is rotting in a storage unit in Florida right now. *sigh*.....

Comment

Born for sure, my parents have no clue! lol
              2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

I was born into cars. My mom jokes that I have a sterring wheel in my hands when I was born. Haha my whole family loves cars. My dad, uncles and cousins all had dirt cars so every saturday I remember going to my uncles riding gokarts all day then going to the track that nite. I still have around 10 cousins and uncles in okc that race regularly.

Comment

Great thread. It really is a shame to see some of the kids these days, who could care less about cars. There are a lot of kids who don't even want to drive.

As a young kid, I lived for being out in the garage helping my Dad wrench on cars, tucks, go carts, mowers etc... I was hooked from there on. Anything and everything cars. When I had my first child, it was a girl. She would occasionally come outside and help me with a project...but the interest was short lived.

Now let me tell you about my son. He just turned 3.....and He is ABSOLUTELY OBSESSED. He asks to work on the cars almost everyday. He is always asking about my "MusKangs." I just recently picked up a 1993 Notchback, that needs a lot of work. So, here lately on the weekends, I've been knocking out small odds and ends. So, yesterday (Saturday) at 6:45 AM, he comes over to my side of the bed, wakes me up and whispers..."Daddy....let's go work on your MusKang." So we did. There is nothing better in life for me right now.

I don't usually post pics or vids of my kids....but this one is pretty epic in my eyes.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think I was born with the car bug, but it caught on with me at an early age. Between my grandpa and his '64 F-100 and all the stories my step-dad would tell me from his days back in the 40s-70s racing boats, and my uncle's constant off-road adventures I got hooked early on. I would love to find either my grandpa's old truck, or one similar to it and build it back to the way I remember it. Damn allergies kicking in just thinking about that truck....

For me, for some reason, the "ugly-to-everyone-else" cars I think are cool....like the Gremlin lol. Any muscle car will get my attention, mid 50's-60's cars/trucks....any oddball car/truck.

The other day I noticed this hole-in-the-wall used car lot in town had 3 Dodge Little Red Express' for sale....I couldn't help but stopping and taking a look and shooting the shit with the owner about them.

Love the car shows on Tv, from the old Motortrend Tv to the *now* retarded PowerBlock stuff on Spike, Stacey David's Gearz....etc.

Hell, my favorite job(s) have been working in a parts store...cause I get to deal with cars and stuff. And every once in a while someone will come in with something I dig, and I'll get to shoot the shit with them about it for a few minutes..always puts a smile on my face.
                    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I think I knew I was going to be a gearhead ever since my father got me a black '55 Bel air toy car. It was exactly like the one from American Graffiti and loved it. My first car was a 1995 Mustang V6 @ 16 years old but at age 17, my father bought a '89 Mustang GT...that's when I decided I wanted his foxbody and not my SN-95. I really enjoy working on all types of cars. It's crazy that when I get in someone elses vehicle, just by listening to the way it drives something is not right. Lately, I've been debating if I should open an automotive shop and ditching welding in the small town I live in.
                      sigpic
                      1987 Mustang LX Coupe, yes it's slow
                      1985 Mustang LX Coupe, not slow

Comment

I was born a petrolhead. My Dad likes cars but he was never in my life as a kid. My Grandpa was very much in my life but he was never really a car guy. He saw them as appliances. He was much more interested in woodworking (which shows I was raised as a woodworker).

My brother and I were always into cars. We both dreamt of being race car drivers. We both watched the Indy 500 every year. We loved Evel Knievel and the crazy things he would do. I have an autographed photo of Evel on my desk right now. I've spent at least an hour today looking at cars on Craigslist, even though I'm not seriously thinking of buying one at the moment. Three quarters of the shows recorded on my DVR are car shows. The rest are something my wife watches. I encouraged my wife to LET ME buy HER a Mercedes. I am chomping at the bit to get a 2015 GT.

Now, MY son? He is being raised as a car guy. He loves getting rides in "Daddy's Truck". I let him ride in my lap and pretend he is steering as we go around the neighborhood. Sorry, Popo, I just don't give a damn about your...... laws... My son may grow up not liking cars, but it won't be due to me trying. I can't wait for him to be big enough for Power Wheels.

Hi, I am a car guy, and I love it.

Comment

Born a car guy and bred to be really competitive! So much that everything was win at all costs and if you didn't win you suck.
                          "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

I've been car crazy as far back as I can remember. I have many fond memories hanging out with my dad in the garage as a little kid and with my buddies as I got older. I truly miss those days.
                            Here's a pic of my 5yo. son tearing into the 66 GT.
                            Last edited by HenryJ; 12-13-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Born. I used to sit in my dad's lap around 5 or 6 and "drive" his '64 short bed. My mom still wishes she had her first car back - '66 mustang. Hell, my dad made a huge city layout from plywood (painted, striped, "grass" medians, etc) for my hot wheels. I can't remember a time when I wasn't just amazed by cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X