Opinions on switching a high mileage vehicle to synthetic oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on switching a high mileage vehicle to synthetic oil

Seeking opinions on switching a high mileage vehicle to synthetic oil. 160K miles, all oil changes done like clockwork every 3000 miles- so little to no sludge.

My only experience with synthetic oils was 15 years ago. I started a then new car with Mobil 1, by 60K miles it had an oil leak. I switched to dino oil & the leak went away in 2 days & never came back.

But since monitored fleet usage of synthetic oils has documented improved fuel economy - it's tempting.

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
    Seeking opinions on switching a high mileage vehicle to synthetic oil. 160K miles, all oil changes done like clockwork every 3000 miles- so little to no sludge.

My only experience with synthetic oils was 15 years ago. I started a then new car with Mobil 1, by 60K miles it had an oil leak. I switched to dino oil & the leak went away in 2 days & never came back.

But since monitored fleet usage of synthetic oils has documented improved fuel economy - it's tempting.
    I have used mobile 1 in my truck since I bought it with 40k miles. It now has 195k. It has developed an oil leak over the last couple of years. I have wondered in switching to dino oil will slow/stop the leak. Not sure if it will hurt mpg's, or the motor if I switch at this point
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Synthetic oils do not cause oil leaks. Modern day syn oils are great. Check out bobistheoilguy.com great info there. I use cheap ass walmart brand synthetic oil in my cars. No problems. I also used black stone lab to do a test on my oil. After 10k miles on my oil they said it still had about 30% of it's life left. Even with that info I still change my oil every 6k miles. 3k miles is fucking retarded unless you're running olive oil lol.

Comment

I have done it and never had a problem. No leaks
        WH

Comment

In the past, I've had issues where my motor would leak oil with synthetic, but if I switched back to regular oil, it would stop.

I only use synthetic oil. It's worth it to me because I tend to go +10k miles between changes. I have never had an issue with a motor wearing out, even after 300k miles.

Comment

I switched mine when I bought it at 100k. No problems 130k now

Comment

Bought my 99 5.0 explorer with 130k miles. Was using Mobil 1 5w30 when I bought it. 3 years later and at 160k, no leaks or problems. Still use the same Mobil 1. In my mustangs and trucks i used motorcraft. Bobtheoilguy talks highly of motorcraft. Just a thought if u wanna use a semi synthetic. My bmw used mobil 1 0w40. Synthetic ftw.

Comment

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport that I bought used with 147k miles. I switched to synthetic on the first oil change I did and have been running it ever since. It leaked oil when I bought it and it still leaks today at 196k miles LOL...... I have run a good synth like mobil1 but now i'm broke so it gets a steady diet of el-cheapo walmart super tech synth. No issues whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                  I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport that I bought used with 147k miles. I switched to synthetic on the first oil change I did and have been running it ever since. It leaked oil when I bought it and it still leaks today at 196k miles LOL...... I have run a good synth like mobil1 but now i'm broke so it gets a steady diet of el-cheapo walmart super tech synth. No issues whatsoever.
                  Just fix the oil leak, they only leak from 3 places really. All are pretty easy to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                    Just fix the oil leak, they only leak from 3 places really. All are pretty easy to fix.

It's the rear main seal and the head gasket seems to be weeping a bit too. I live in an apartment right now with no place to do that kind of work and no spare car to drive if I run into problems. So it's just gonna have to leak for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                      It's the rear main seal and the head gasket seems to be weeping a bit too. I live in an apartment right now with no place to do that kind of work and no spare car to drive if I run into problems. So it's just gonna have to leak for now.

Both are super easy. You can change the rear main in the Jeep.

Rear main.

Sure it isnt the valve cover gasket? That is more common. I have only seen one head gasket leak oil on a 4.0.

Comment

I was hoping it was the valve cover gasket so I changed it awhile ago but the leak is still there. I think that someone has been into this engine before and maybe that's a part of it leaking.

Comment

Working...
                        X