• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
    Uhhh yes?
    Awesome. Such a free state.

Comment

Honestly, it sounds as if both parties could have handled their selves a little better. Usually I will ask people what their address is in situations like this and if they just spit it out with out thinking about it I am good. I have seen officers complained on by homeowners because they did not try to identify the homeowner on a alarm. While the officer was probably justified in grabbing the guy, I am not sure charges where the best course of action by the department. Sometimes people just want to play the game and sometimes they get obliged.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Not defending the cops in any way, but the fact that he said he was in the military, and pulled out his military ID, were both silly. To me it reeks of the sort that pull the "I'm in the military / I'm a veteran" shit. If he was advised that he was detained, and he clearly knew that the reason for the contact was to establish if he was a burglar or resident, then just hand over your DL. That would show your address to validate you belong there.

Granted, being in the military his DL may be from his home state, but to me, you then grab a piece of mail and show that the name matches.

Assuming the story is accurate, I still find a lot of fault with how the officer handled it.

And I think I have posted this before, but for fucks sake, can people stop pulling the "military" / "veteran card" for every god damn thing?? Including the media in their reports? It's very quickly becoming the "race card" of modern day and IMO diminishes the honor associated with being such.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
          HUH? not understanding what you are trying to say. Why not give the DL that has the home address on it? Does a military ID have a home address on it ?
          Because if you're in uniform (not sure if he was or not) you have to have your ID on you. As a military ID is valid ID, showing your name and picture, the officer had no reason to touch it at all unless he is a representative of the Department of Defense.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            Not defending the cops in any way, but the fact that he said he was in the military, and pulled out his military ID, were both silly. To me it reeks of the sort that pull the "I'm in the military / I'm a veteran" shit. If he was advised that he was detained, and he clearly knew that the reason for the contact was to establish if he was a burglar or resident, then just hand over your DL. That would show your address to validate you belong there.

Granted, being in the military his DL may be from his home state, but to me, you then grab a piece of mail and show that the name matches.

Assuming the story is accurate, I still find a lot of fault with how the officer handled it.

And I think I have posted this before, but for fucks sake, can people stop pulling the "military" / "veteran card" for every god damn thing?? Including the media in their reports? It's very quickly becoming the "race card" of modern day and IMO diminishes the honor associated with being such.
            Unless he didn't have his DL. It's not part of the uniform and unless he is required by law to carry a DL in his own home, he had no obligation to do more than he did. Since when is refusing to identify an assault-able offense?

Doesn't sound like the officer gave him much of an opportunity to grab anything as when he pulled his hand back he got tackled and threatened with a firearm.

Comment

I find it ironic that most of the officers generating these FTP stories are "Generation Y" officers.

I'd like to see stats on this train of thought and what the trends are.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                I find it ironic that most of the officers generating these FTP stories are "Generation Y" officers.

I'd like to see stats on this train of thought and what the trends are.
                Chill out. They're just waiting to pump a few rounds into an innocent dog so they can become a member of the "Generation X" officers club...

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Unless he didn't have his DL. It's not part of the uniform and unless he is required by law to carry a DL in his own home, he had no obligation to do more than he did. Since when is refusing to identify an assault-able offense?

Doesn't sound like the officer gave him much of an opportunity to grab anything as when he pulled his hand back he got tackled and threatened with a firearm.
                  I'm not justifying anything the cop did, and I clearly stated that I did not agree with what he did. That doesn't mean the dude was being compliant and reasonable either. I have to assume you encountered those real douchebag officers when you were in the Army..

As for teh license, he was at home. He had just gotten there recently. I have to assume he drove. He no longer had to be "in uniform". Hell, the only time I did not have my DL right next to my Military ID in my wallet was in the field, because there was no need for my whole wallet out there. Even then, it was in my vehicle or pack. Just not in my back pocket.

IDK. We're both making assumptions, of course.

Comment

This one adds some information left out of the story above:

MONTEREY, Calif. —U.S. Air Force Capt. Nicolas Aquino was tackled and handcuffed at his own house in Carmel because a Monterey County sheriff's deputy thought he was a burglar. Now, Aquino is being charged with resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer.

AIR FORCE CAPTAIN'S CONFRONTATION WITH MONTEREY COUNTY...
                    AIR FORCE ARREST FOLO
                    U.S. Air Force Capt. Nicolas Aquino was tackled and handcuffed at his own house in Carmel because a Monterey County sheriff's deputy thought he was a burglar.

MORE
                    VIDEO: Air Force captain's confrontation with officers debated

It happened last December. Aquino was at home when a deputy arrived and began treating him like a burglary suspect.

A neighbor had called 911 and reported seeing a man walking around the house suspiciously.

"All he said was, 'I need to see your ID.' At that moment I'm like, 'Excuse me sir, but who are you? And why are you here?" Aquino told KSBW.

"He says it again, I have to produce identification. At that moment I asked him, 'Am I being detained?' He said, 'Yes,' and so I said, 'OK, then my name is Nicolas Aquino. I live right here. I'm in the military,'" Aquino said.

Aquino eventually pulled out his wallet to show his military identification card but didn't hand it over.

According to the deputy's account in the sheriff's incident report, "The male then pulled his hand away from me, thereby moving the card away from my hand. I decided at that point I would detain him physically and place him into handcuffs."

"That's when he grabs my wrist, puts me in a front guillotine, slams my head into the ground and spins around and does a rear naked choke, so he puts me in a choke hold," Aquino said.

In the incident report, the deputy wrote that while sitting on top of Aquino and with his hands around his head, "I yelled at the male to put his hands out to his sides. The male never complied. He was beginning to draw them in closer to the center of his body. Afraid that the male was going to reach for a weapon, I contemplated disengaging from him, drawing my own firearm and taking aim."

"I physically can't move, I'm not resisting," Aquino told KSBW.

Aquino was handcuffed and eventually released after he showed the deputy bills with his name and address on it.

He was never armed with a weapon and was never arrested.

More than seven weeks after the incident, a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Monterey County District Attorney prosecutors are pressing misdemeanor charges against Aquino for resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer. Aquino has a pretrial hearing on Wednesday.

In addition to being an Air Force captain, Aquino is also a student at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey.

The Air Force captain said he didn't find out about the arrest warrant until his Naval Post Graduate School supervisor called him and said he was not allowed back on campus until he dealt with the charges pending against him.

Aquino's lawyer asked the Monterey County District Attorney to drop the charges, but was told it wasn't going to happen. The entire ordeal, Aquino said, has put his military career in jeopardy.

Aquino is a first-generation American whose parents fled Paraguay as refugees after they received death threats.

"My dad was told 'You have two hours to leave the country and never come back,'" Aquino said.

His parents experienced what life was like without freedom, so Aquino enlisted in the U.S. military and dedicated his career to keeping America free. Watch a video the U.S. Air Force created about Aquino's life below or mobile users click here.

Read more: http://www.ksbw.com/news/carmel-air-...#ixzz2zD8zjCBI

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                      Funny a cop subdued a military guy though, guess he doesn't eat donuts
                      He's an Air Force officer and an IT guy. His combat training probably consisted of dodging drunk tourists on the river walk.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        Honestly, it sounds as if both parties could have handled their selves a little better. Usually I will ask people what their address is in situations like this and if they just spit it out with out thinking about it I am good. I have seen officers complained on by homeowners because they did not try to identify the homeowner on a alarm. While the officer was probably justified in grabbing the guy, I am not sure charges where the best course of action by the department. Sometimes people just want to play the game and sometimes they get obliged.

^All of this. Sounds like 2 morons met, and this was the result.

Comment

I know that service members are allowed to keep their DL and registration in their home state, so I'm not sure showing him a DL would've sufficed as it may have a different address on it.

Comment

...me too, I'm on this bandwagon now.

Although I did figure out (after years of shopping there and just last week bought a 2K tractor there) that we get 10% off at Lowes. That is pretty nifty.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm not justifying anything the cop did, and I clearly stated that I did not agree with what he did. That doesn't mean the dude was being compliant and reasonable either. I have to assume you encountered those real douchebag officers when you were in the Army..

As for teh license, he was at home. He had just gotten there recently. I have to assume he drove. He no longer had to be "in uniform". Hell, the only time I did not have my DL right next to my Military ID in my wallet was in the field, because there was no need for my whole wallet out there. Even then, it was in my vehicle or pack. Just not in my back pocket.

IDK. We're both making assumptions, of course.
                              You would be correct Chili. I got pulled over for speeding across an artillery range and the LT told my wife at the time that if she felt threatened by my speeding that he'd love to take me to jail. They wound up dating a few months after she kicked me out. Before he could call my chain of command I beat him to the punch, filled them in and asked them to come meet us on the side of the road. Was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                                ...me too, I'm on this bandwagon now.

Although I did figure out (after years of shopping there and just last week bought a 2K tractor there) that we get 10% off at Lowes. That is pretty nifty.
                                And Home Depot. I have saved a lot of money in those two places.

Comment

Working...
                                X