How much is this person worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    "Gary, I'm sorry. I reviewed your request for a raise, but after careful examination by dfwmustangs I have decided not to give you a raise. However, the board has agreed to reconvene if you would consider posting tits or gtfo."
    I might be the only one, and sometimes easily amused....but I had a good laugh at that one...
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      lol i would if it was actually me. But there is no way i would work for what this guy does. I couldnt I have more bills than that. I guess maybe i am alone in being interested in what different people get paid and why
      No, I think we all do. Ive been quite surprised at what some of the management makes compared to sales, in many cases. Hell even new car salesmen can make more than a service manager. In many companies, sales drives the business, and they have to get paid in order to push. I actually just had that conversation yesterday.

Another example: I have been offered management positions at my current company, and would have to take a pay cut in order to do that.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        Another example: I have been offered management positions at my current company, and would have to take a pay cut in order to do that.
        If your "cut in pay" for moving to management doesn't consider your potential to earn more via bonuses, then there's no incentive for people to move into management and take the extra responsibilities.

I took a lateral move into management as far as job codes versus the individual contributor role I was in. But I also ended up with a 20% pay increase with the "lateral" move. But my next promotion also moves me into a different bonus structure than the equivalent individual contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
          If your "cut in pay" for moving to management doesn't consider your potential to earn more via bonuses, then there's no incentive for people to move into management and take the extra responsibilities.

I took a lateral move into management as far as job codes versus the individual contributor role I was in. But I also ended up with a 20% pay increase with the "lateral" move. But my next promotion also moves me into a different bonus structure than the equivalent individual contributor.
          There was a bonus structure tied to it, but since I have been here so long, and have seen the numbers, I already knew that the bonus was a dangling carrot that would always be just out of reach. A coworker took the position, and is kicking himself pretty hardcore.

Im not afraid of a lateral move at all, so long as there is an option for more money, or even a chance for promotion. I'm capped out here, and taking a step down in pay for a management title would take a few years to even have a chance to move up. Ive taken a gamble or two in the past, and they worked out for the most part.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post

Yeah but "effective" thats what you have to look at. What do you actually bring home every year. And what did you used to bring home back when you were in sales. We have one kick ass salesman who made 100k year before last, and 150k last year. I didnt make near that cause im still just a newb only having been at it for a couple years. But that whole time im only doing it part time cause of school
            WH

Comment

I bring home choo choo money.

Not CHOOO$$$$ CHOOO$$$$ money. I mean it's not like I'm crapping out cow skin runs, faux metal star wall art, and unfinished wood furniture by any means.

Comment

As much as you did in sales?
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  As much as you did in sales?
                  never been in sales. I'm in technology where the real money is

Comment

I like sales. Sales is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      I like sales. Sales is good.
                      lol, I still get nervous sometimes when walking up to a new door. Even if its clear from the road that the roof is screwed. Some people just dont care until it leaks!

some people are so receptive while others are more like

And then you get those guys who want to have $1,000 left and want you to help them with that
                      WH

Comment

People with jobs that don't fit into a box are worth whatever someone will pay. My job is like that, I am part accountant, lawyer, title expert and bullshit artist.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

That is what i was thinking but how do you know how much to pay such a person? I guess it should always be low because its not like theyre going to be able to go somewhere else and make more to do all the same stuff. Cause the job doesnt fit into a box.

Somebody will likely just want to use 2 or 3 of those skills, and pay less because of it
                          WH

Comment

Working...
                          X