How much is this person worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is this person worth

I have been working for about about 2 years for a small start up roofing co. Just doing part time, working my way though college as im sure many people here have done. Its commission sales, but i have done alright. Its better than working at kroger or someplace while im in school.

But there is one guy there, i'd say he is sort of like a jack of all trades. He is not a salesman but he does seem to handle a lot. He haggles back and forth with the insurance companys and he seems to be pretty good at getting them to pay extra so the company makes more money. Of course i get more commission that way too. I often sit in his office and we will chat about different things. Lately he seems convinced he is worth more money. So i am just curious because payscales has always been something that interests me. The when and why of what people make.

He handles pretty much all paperwork involved. The salesmen go out and sell, and get the inspection and meet with insurance adjusters. But once its time to start dealing with paperwork and invoices and accounts payable and recivable, its all him. He deals with customer complaints and really just picks up a lot of the slack. He probably does do more than his counterparts at other bigger roofing companies. Not sure how much though. He just works your standard 8-5 every day. He thinks that other roofing companys must have at least 6 or 7 guys that do all the jobs he does. Im not so sure. Cause i dont think they could afford all that. But I dont know.

So what do you think the guy is worth? He is saying that he wants to decrease sales commissions because he should get more of the money for all the work he does. Of course im at odds with him on that one lol. He wants a bigger piece of the pie but he is not the one out there making sales.
    Last edited by Gasser64; 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM.
    WH

If he's haggling and getting more money for the firm, he deserves a bigger chunk of that increase than someone not involved in getting it. He should probably just start his own shop though.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

That is what im thinking he will do in the long run
      WH

Comment

Roofers, some of the biggest scam artists on this planet.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
          say what?

Comment

Everyone thinks they are worth more than they are being compensated.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              Everyone thinks they are worth more than they are being compensated.
              Yep. And they all bitch about it too.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Take an average of revenues for the past 5 years, and gave him a base line, then make a deal with him to pay a percentage of revenue gain over the next year as incentive to prove his worth.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

What would he make if he started over at another company? He's worth slightly more than that plus factor in a couple of percent per year he's been with the company.

I can hire a temp to do all the clerical work for $15 an hour and you probably would only need them a couple of days a week. The rest of the things you mentioned all fall under sales in my opinion. You can either have highly paid sales people that handle their business or low paid sales people that rely on office people to handle the rest of their business. In my opinion the more involved you can make sales in the entire process the better your company will do. At least in a business where sales involves developing a customer base.

If it's a business that relies on cold calling and just straight volume then pay more for better clerical people because your sales staff is going to change constantly.

Comment

As much as someone is willing to pay.

Comment

Here is the list of what he does:

accounts payable

accounts receiveable/collections

estimates

some marketing

payroll

supplements/insurance negotiations
                      WH

Comment

Bout tree-fiddy, give or take.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Here is the list of what he does:

accounts payable

accounts receiveable/collections

estimates

some marketing

payroll

supplements/insurance negotiations
                          Holy small business office manager that should make $40-45k/yr!

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            lol!
                            Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            say what?
                            He said Roofers are some of the biggest scam artist on the planet. And I have to agree, I've never met one that wasn't. Sometimes they even pay for advertising one year and then try and circumvent the advertising fees the next by sending out PM's and emails so as not to pay the advertising fee again.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

No idea as it's dependent on the sales volume and profit margin of the roofing company where he is employed. That said, he seems like a fairly key guy, so I would hope he's making at least $100k base or so and some incentive compensation based on a few previously agreed metrics.
                              Ford
                              GM
                              Toyota
                              VAG

Comment

Working...
                              X