Diesel cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel cars

Would a diesel car be worth the money vs its gas counterpart? Right now I drive an 09 FX4 supercrew 60 miles each way to work all highway plus frequent trips to tyler from either Ennis or home(Allen) so between 18-20k miles a year.

Mid 80s Rabbit with WVO conversion...

Comment

We bought a new Passat TDI back in Sept of last year. We have 15k miles on it already. I can say I love the 40-50 mpgs! It is not fast but the torque makes it enough fun to

Comment

So a legit 40-50mpg? I can't do all that highway driving at 60mph I'd go insane. I usually drive 10 over. Also is the maintenance more than a gas car, like oil changes and stuff?

Comment

120x5x52 is a lot more than 20k miles a year. It kind of depends on the car but when talking VWs if it has a manual it's worth it because you get the entire premium back when you sell it.

Comment

sorry i should have mentioned I work 24/48 off, so im only doing 120 miles every 3rd day plus a few times a month to tyler

Comment

TDI get great fuel mileage, and will do 80-85 pretty easily. IMO VW are pieces of shit tho. I had a prius I drove around for almost a year and I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                So a legit 40-50mpg? I can't do all that highway driving at 60mph I'd go insane. I usually drive 10 over. Also is the maintenance more than a gas car, like oil changes and stuff?
                I just drove to Amarillo with the cruise set on 78. Add in the occasional heavy right foot to keep from getting caught behind two cars running side by side. I got 42.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                  TDI get great fuel mileage, and will do 80-85 pretty easily. IMO VW are pieces of shit tho. I had a prius I drove around for almost a year and I loved it.
                  A coworker of mine left his Prius at the airport while we were in Florida for a week, and that thing fucking SUCKS to jump off/change battery.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
                    Mid 80s Rabbit with WVO conversion...
                    When I was in high school my dad wanted to buy me a VW Rabbit diesel pickup. Refusing his offer for forced celibacy, I ended up with a Toyota 4x4.

Kinda wish now I'd have taken him up on it and learned about diesels earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      A coworker of mine left his Prius at the airport while we were in Florida for a week, and that thing fucking SUCKS to jump off/change battery.
                      I feel ya, I had to replace the battery on mine. I loved the fuel mileage, and if I ever get back to driving a lot of a living, Id buy another.

Comment

Had a TDI beetle and it got a tick over 42mpg average. Considering that an older toyota corolla, civic, or saturn S series will be knocking on 40's door, I wouldn't bother with another TDI. Just too damned expensive to maintain and the cost difference between diesel and regular doesn't justify it.

Comment

I have been looking for a good mpg getter. I am going to try and pick something up in the fall after a few of my house bonuses hit. I am thinking an EK civic hatch. Not 100% practical for a construction superintendent, though I rarely need to move large objects. I plan to keep my s-10 for the times I need one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Bought my 2014 tdi passat in oct 2013 and have 12500 miles on it so far with zero issues besides the dash creeking sometimes. My hand calculated mpg is right at 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                              and the cost difference between diesel and regular doesn't justify it.
                              I know it is not always the case but today gas is 3.53 and diesel is 3.59.

Comment

Working...
                              X