Missouri using Long Range Acoustic Devices(LRADs) on speeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri using Long Range Acoustic Devices(LRADs) on speeders

This is definitely not dangerous at all. Fucking idiots.

Good news! For people that like speeding in work zones! The Missouri Department of Transportation just acquired two Long Range Acoustic Devices, or LRADs, to blast incredibly loud noises at drivers as they speed past construction sites. This is definitely, definitely going to go over well.

The Missouri DoT plans to blast a high-pitched siren, very loudly, along with warnings to "slow down" to drivers.

The LRAD first came to prominence over the last decade, as it was found to be a non-lethal cureall for riotous crowd control, and also pirate defense. Point an LRAD at someone who finds whatever your doing disagreeable, fire the sucker up, and suddenly they are blasted with up to 153 decibels of noise.

And how loud is 153 decibels? Well, lets put it this way: a standard-issue firework, if there is such a thing, exploding three feet away from you is slightly quieter. A Boeing 747 taking off right next to your head is much quieter.

Permanent hearing loss begins at 130 decibels.

But don't worry, because the Missouri DoT says that the LRAD will only be used at "safe levels," and it's a "valuable safety tool," according to Before It's News.

This is either a really good idea, because it will help drivers slow down when lives are at risk, or a really, really terrible idea, because blasting an ear-splitting screech suddenly at the driver of a speeding car is a great way for them to think, carefully and with caution, that maybe this is a good time to slow down, maintain car control, and not suddenly veer first to the left, and then wildly over to the right, in a desperate attempt to preserve what little hearing they have left, hoping against hope that they will one day hear the beautiful strings of Beethoven's 3rd symphony again, while they plow directly into the construction zone.

And it will always, surely be used with restraint.

Yes, definitely a good idea.

Good news! For people that like speeding in work zones! The Missouri Department of Transportation just acquired two Long Range Acoustic Devices, or LRADs, to blast incredibly loud noises at drivers as they speed past construction sites. This is definitely, definitely going to go over well.

Retards.

Comment

Will work until someone is deafened and then sue the state for doing it.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Or, until truckers start laying on the horn through work zones.

I'm going through Missouri today.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
          Or, until truckers start laying on the horn through work zones.

I'm going through Missouri today.

Could you pick me up some fireworks? The wife hid my stash, something to do with being irresponsible and beer and fireworks...?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
            Could you pick me up some fireworks? The wife hid my stash, something to do with being irresponsible and beer and fireworks...?
            Unfortunately, they are considerd explosives. If there were to be an accident, I would be charged with carrying explosive devices. In this day and age of anti-terrorism it would make matters worse.

I don't even bring beer back for my buddies. Sorry man.

Comment

Someone is going to wreck due to this and get PAID.

Comment

They were testing the LRAD last time I was aboard ship. Those things are no fucking joke. And MoDOT is stupid for even considering it. What's next? Shining lasers in speeders eyes?
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Government - where thoughts go to die.

Comment

The stupidity level in this country grows by the day.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think their .1 mile markers are awesome as well.
                      Originally posted by Buzzo
                      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        Government - where common sense go to die.
                        Slight adjustment

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                          Slight adjustment
                          That would suggest that common sense is alive to begin with.

Comment

Touche

Comment

how is this suppose to work inside a vehicle? those emit high frequency noises, which are easily blocked by things like windshields.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X