No announcement yet.

Unpaid NTTA tolls can land you in jail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid NTTA tolls can land you in jail.

What a crock of shit. I love how this country keeps finding new ways to extort its citizens. Hooray for debtors prison.

Of late, the North Texas Tollway Authority has been testing out a host of new methods to encourage drivers to pay their tolls. The agency will block your vehicle registration and impound your car. It will publicly shame you. It will sue you.

Sometimes, though, nothing works as well as a good, old-fashioned jailing, like the one given to alleged toll scofflaw Florence Moka.

According to the NTTA, Moka racked up more than $14,000 in fines and fees driving on North Texas toll roads, which is a lot. But it's also a far cry from the six figures racked up by the most egregious offenders. So why Moka?

The short answer is that not only did she ignore repeated mailings from the NTTA -- which, however much its leaders might wish to the contrary, does not have police powers -- she also ignored an order to appear before Collin County Justice of the Peace Mike Yarbrough.

"These are two warrants for failure to appear in court on citations issued by DPS for failure to pay tolls," says NTTA spokesman Michael Rey. "These failure-to-appear warrants are issued by the court -- not NTTA -- when the violator fails to show up in court for the hearing on the citations."

Moka was still in jail this morning, being held on a $365 bond, records show.

According to a 2012 NTTA newsletter, the agency sends 15,000 toll violation cases to JP courts each year. These sometimes result in arrests -- back when he was at the Star-Telegram, Dave Lieber wrote about a woman jailed over an $11 toll bill -- but such cases seem to be rare.

Of late, the North Texas Tollway Authority has been testing out a host of new methods to encourage drivers to pay their tolls. The agency will block your vehicle registration and impound your car. It will publicly shame you. It will sue you. Sometimes, though, nothing works as well as...

The BLM is jelly.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      What a crock of shit. I love how this country keeps finding new ways to extort its citizens. Hooray for debtors prison.

"she also ignored an order to appear before Collin County Justice of the Peace Mike Yarbrough."
      This is where she fucked up, the MAN sends you a letter to come to his office, you better get your ass there and on time.

And now on too the NTTA, they are straight up crooks. I went to the local office and took off my direct pay credit card off and went to a cash account. I was being charged $30.00 every other week and I have a $10.00 "deposit" that never gets used (along with the thousands of other TT users). The only thing that you lose when going to a cash account is begin able to use your TT at the two local airports and its mainly for parking privileges.
      I now only have to charge up my account once a month or longer.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I heard that the flashes from toll and traffic enforcement cameras have contributed to the decline of the Northern Aplomado Falcon and many other endangered species.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          I heard that the flashes from toll and traffic enforcement cameras have contributed to the decline of the Northern Aplomado Falcon and many other endangered species.
          Nice. Shut it down.

Comment

Nothing new. She failed to appear for a court summons. She wasn't arrested because of outstanding tolls.
            sigpic

Comment

I think Eric's point is more that a toll fee can even lead to a jail-able offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                This is where she fucked up, the MAN sends you a letter to come to his office, you better get your ass there and on time.
                So what happens when you live in Bell county and they use a JP in Collin county? They could start filing cases in Cameron county, I mean who is going to drive 700 miles away for a court date?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  So what happens when you live in Bell county and they use a JP in Collin county? They could start filing cases in Cameron county, I mean who is going to drive 700 miles away for a court date?
                  I have no idea on what your trying to prove, but she is technically stealing from the state and was issued a court summons by a JP court in the county that she is accused of stealing from.
                  I have no remorse for her being in jail, I pay to use the tolls and if I don't want to pay them, I don't use them. Not only did she not pay for one, it was multiple times and she was probably given (like my daughter has been given) a discount to pay, which is bullshit, because I don't get that big of a discount. So fuck her in her no toll paying ass...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have no idea on what your trying to prove, but she is technically stealing from the state and was issued a court summons by a JP court in the county that she is accused of stealing from.
                    I have no remorse for her being in jail, I pay to use the tolls and if I don't want to pay them, I don't use them. Not only did she not pay for one, it was multiple times and she was probably given (like my daughter has been given) a discount to pay, which is bullshit, because I don't get that big of a discount. So fuck her in her no toll paying ass...
                    Say what? I think the argument can be made that the NTTA is stealing from us.

Comment

Should this not be a civil matter? Since when does not showing up to court over a civil matter mean anything except that you lose in whatever is going on?

Comment

You can't prove she was the one driving and that $14k number is probably more like $300 in fees plus whatever they are charging for sending her a bill and any legal fees. Her bond is $365.

What they should do is send notices and once they are clearly being ignored set up some type of system that notifies the police where the car is so they can pull it over and investigate. If the owner of the vehicle is driving the car you can them charge them with trespassing and impound the vehicle.

Sending notices to appear from a random JP is a horse crap way of enforcing it. My point is that they could set up shop anywhere in Texas, all they need is a crooked JP and some clerical problems and people end up in jail over stupid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          I think Eric's point is more that a toll fee can even lead to a jail-able offense.
                          Exactly.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          Say what? I think the argument can be made that the NTTA is stealing from us.
                          Exactly.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                          Should this not be a civil matter? Since when does not showing up to court over a civil matter mean anything except that you lose in whatever is going on?
                          Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                            Brilliant point.

Comment

They are trying to set precedent that ntta is a government entity

Comment

Working...
                              X