Things to do between dfw and New York City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do between dfw and New York City

My som is coming back from afgahnistan in June and me and the family are driving his truck up there and flying home. Besides the obvious stuff to see in NYC is there any cool sites to see on the way. I'm too lazy to look for myself and figured some of you fine folks had some input.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by soap
    i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Tail of the Dragon. Blue Ridge Parkway. Woodford Distillery. Graceland.

Comment

You could head south a bit and hit Richmond, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC.

Richmond has Jamestown, Yorktown and the Richmond National Battlefield obviously.

Philadelphia has the liberty bell and the City Tavern, plus tons of other historic stuff.

Baltimore is a very cool city, tons of history and it's a huge sea port.

DC speaks for itself.

Comment

Go to Baltimore for the history. Stay because you got murdered.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Go to Baltimore for the history. Stay because you got murdered.
          That's just as likely in Philly or DC. Honestly I felt more threatened in Knoxville than anywhere in a big city. Lots of banjo music being played.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            That's just as likely in Philly or DC. Honestly I felt more threatened in Knoxville than anywhere in a big city. Lots of banjo music being played.
            haha, very true.

Comment

no advice, but thank your son for his service and wish him a welcome home from the rest of us.

Comment

If you take the Northern route, stop at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.. If you go the southern route.. Stop and visit the Army Museum in Aberdeen Md..
                Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

There is also Fort Knox in Kentucky, not much to see there but they do have General Patton's museum next door. For me personally it's a must see.

Nashville has the Opry if you are interested in that. It's about impossible to get tickets just to the Opry but if you book a room at the Gaylord they have inclusive packages.

I'll likely be flying into JFK the last weekend of June btw and for a similar reason. My wife's block leave starts around then prior to deploying. She's heading to Kuwait though luckily.

Comment

Gaylord Opryland is the biggest hotel in the world, supposedly. It is pretty awesome, I stayed there 3 or 4 times for 3-4 days for our annual conferences. Have some good walking shoes. lol Never had a bad meal in any of the restaurants, and the Old Hickory Steakhouse had the best steak I've ever had in my life.

Comment

Eat some chicken at Hattie B's in Nashville. It may be the best chicken in the world. It will take the Pepsi challenge with whatever you think is good.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I would settle on a route first, and then pick things along the way based on the amount of time that you have to get back home. Niagara falls is "on the way" if you have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          and the Old Hickory Steakhouse had the best steak I've ever had in my life.
                          Don't get all nostalgic and try the one at the Gaylord in Grapevine. You'll be disappointed.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

So living outside of DC and having driven back to Texas/Oklahoma more than a few time I will recommend the least traffic prone route. I-95 between Richmond and Philly may as well be a parking lot.

You can run 30-40 see Nashville, then run 65N to Louisville (catch a boat ride, or maybe see Thunder over Louisville), take 64E and check out the bourbon trail, then take I-81N around DC/Baltimore etc. Not sure the route to NYC from there as I have no desire to go there or ever go back to Baltimore.

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
                              You can run 30-40 see Nashville, then run 65N to Louisville (catch a boat ride, or maybe see Thunder over Louisville), take 64E and check out the bourbon trail,
                              The bourbon trail is awesome. If you spend any time at all in Louisville, stop in at O'Shea's downtown, and chat with the manager for a while. It's a six story bar, and down in the basement, there is an inlet to a series of tunnels where they ran bourbon during prohibition. You can also try your hand at the Tower Burger.

Also, in Louisville - Stop in somewhere for a Hot Brown. They were first invented/introduced at the Brown Hotel, but just about all restaurants have them outside of steakhouses.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X