Parents inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents inside

First time I've really faced this as a coach and wanted opinions as my wife and I are of two different opinions.

There is a girl on our team that is by far our best player. Her mother started working doubles a few weeks ago and she has now missed two practices and one game due to not having transportation. (I've recently offered to her mother that I'd pick her up and bring her home if that means she can come play)

My question is would you keep her in the lineup in her starting position (she plays the most important position) or move her to another position due to so many missed practices /game?

Find a way to get her there that way she can play. If everyone has the same goal, the team doing well, then there should be a way to get her to practice.

Missing practice because you don't want to go, to me, means you lose your starting position. However, if missing practice because it's out of your control, it's not the child's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
      Find a way to get her there that way she can play. If everyone has the same goal, the team doing well, then there should be a way to get her to practice.

Missing practice because you don't want to go, to me, means you lose your starting position. However, if missing practice because it's out of your control, it's not the child's fault.
      This. I would work with the kid and the parent, or at least offer to, as you already have. However, you can only do so much to help her stay involved.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

That's my thoughts exactly and why I offered to drive 40 mins one way to pick her up then take her home so she can play.

Comment

I would rotate someone else into the starting position. Kids need to learn to learn that someone isn't always gonna bail them out. They need to learn to deal with it.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
            I would rotate someone else into the starting position. Kids need to learn to learn that someone isn't always gonna bail them out. They need to learn to deal with it.
            So how is the kid suppose to get to practice? I don't think his bailing her out.

Comment

Clear it with the mom first, then send an email to the team asking if anyone lives close to the girl and would be willing to pick her up for games and practices when needed. 40 mins one way is too much dude.

And at age 6-8 kids need to worry about being kids, not that mommy can't get her to practice AND put food on the table this week. You were kidding right propeller???

God bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                Really? It's totally the kids fault she can't get to practice right? Go ahead and punish the kid for something she's got no control over, that'll do the trick!!

<----I'm probies mom most of the time, does that count as parent??
                2012 GT500

Comment

Clear it with the mom first and talk to the other parents to get carpooling worked out. The statement about letting kids be kids is huge.

I am not a parent but growing up I was that kid. I started a new league and when the coach found I why I missed a few practices he spoke with the other parents and I never missed another practice. Whenever my mom was available she was sure to volunteer to carpool.

Looking back at thosr parents did more for me than they probably thought. I now know how valuable time is and for them to help me out was huge. Heck on top of that whenever I hit a homerun this one dad always made sure I got the ball back and it always had a $5 bill with it. He was not rich by any means but knew I did not have any spending money or allowance. Little things like that go a long way.

Comment

Would you do the same if it was the shittiest player on the team?

Comment

Originally posted by 01-GATOR View Post
                      So how is the kid suppose to get to practice? I don't think his bailing her out.
                      The kid is in a situation where she can't get to practice. Sad but it's the hand she was dealt. Someone won't be around every time to bail her out of situations and make thing happy again. I'd explain to the kid that her mom has to work two jobs which means she can't always be around to take her to practice.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                      Really? It's totally the kids fault she can't get to practice right? Go ahead and punish the kid for something she's got no control over, that'll do the trick!!

Dude, you're way off. I didn't say it was the kid's fault. Where did you get that? And who said anything about punishment? No one is punishing anyone. Ease up on the victim mentality.

It's just the world we adults live in. Sometimes shit happens and you have no control over it so you learn to deal with it.
                      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

You're doing a really shitty job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                          You're doing a really shitty job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
                          What can I say? I work two jobs and I can't take him to practice. Please don't bench him!!!!!11
                          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            Would you do the same if it was the shittiest player on the team?
                            Yes, if it wasn't the kids fault and they wanted to play

Comment

If you can work it out so that she can be there leave her in the position. If it can't be then move her. Help the kid if you can but do what's best for the team.
                              07 f250-family truckster
                              08 Denali -baby hauler
                              52 f1-rust bucket
                              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Working...
                              X