Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate stupid people that try to talk about cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
    From my experience there is a tier system to car guys you can safely talk to people a tier or two higher as long as you are trying to learn and they know that. You can even show them something new from time to time. When you talk to anyone further than a tier or two lower the gap is to big and it ends up just pissing me off that they don't get it.

I agree with this. David Wolfe from Wolfe Racecraft used to buy parts from my store when his shop was just a block away before he moved it. One night he came in with someone else, and they were talking suspensions while I was helping them with something else. I literally could not figure out a single thing they were talking about. lol That guy knows his shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
      It's funny how they all think "4-bolt mains" instantly make it faster. I've called a number of guys out in the past, just asking them....do you know what 4-bolt mains are and what they are really for?
      Sometimes even four-bolt mains don't keep the crank where it belongs.

Cross-bolted mains ftw.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

From my experience there is a tier system to car guys you can safely talk to people a tier or two higher as long as you are trying to learn and they know that. You can even show them something new from time to time. When you talk to anyone further than a tier or two lower the gap is to big and it ends up just pissing me off that they don't get it.
        I find that if I admit to knowing dick about cars other than I like how they sound and have a genuine love for them, I don't catch as much hell as if I read up on it and then tried to talk shop without actual knowledge.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

There are exceptions to this but you make a valid point. I've dealt with everyone from the original software engineer at ZF to the baby's mama whose A4 won't shift because Flaco's Transmission shop and deli didn't know how to program it.

And Tali, Wolfe is definitely out there as far as knowledge goes but he was probably making up random stuff just to jack with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            I find that if I admit to knowing dick about cars other than I like how they sound and have a genuine love for them, I don't catch as much hell as if I read up on it and then tried to talk shop without actual knowledge.
            I don't admit knowledge openly, I tend to wait and see if the person Im talking to is worthy of the discussion in the first place. It leads to much stress trying to keep the bullshit from making me choke a bitch.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
              And Tali, Wolfe is definitely out there as far as knowledge goes but he was probably making up random stuff just to jack with you.

Hahaha, that is certainly possible, but I don't think he was. He used to come in all the time and we would BS. He wasn't really even paying attention to me in this instance, they walked in deep in conversation about a build.

Comment

This is true for just about anything, not just cars.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Working in a parts store with people who aren't "car people" in some way, shape, form, or fashion is also annoying as shit. Especially when they're older, and have been around the block (in the parts industry) several times, and you still have to correct their stupidity.

I work with this old bastard (who was an Autozone manager for 5 years...telltale sign right there something's wrong) who was asked for a set of head gaskets for a 327. The first words out of his mouth were "Is that a chevrolet motor?" Then "What year?" Followed by "Is that in a truck?" The 2 guys ordering the parts were of the backyards country hotrod dirt track type, you could tell just by looking at them, so just looking at them should have told this guy everything he needed to know. But he asked the stupid questions anyway, and I just watched, cringing with every stupid fucking question he asked. Something that should have taken 10 minutes TOPS took him almost 45 fucking minutes. Really?
                  "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    I had a guy in my store telling me he drove his car 300mph on the freeway all the time. I usually just sarcastically acted like I was amazed, but these type of idiots never picked up that I was making fun of them.
                    Were they dressed in black suits, looking like tommy lee Jones and will smith?
                    Rich

Comment

• One time back when I worked in auto parts I had to cover a closing manager shift at a store in Grapevine. The guy working with me that night was an old grumpy dude with a kiss my ass look permanently stuck on his face. He was retired and only worked part time at the store. He was a smart guy and really knew his shit when it came to cars, but he couldn’t stand stupid people.
                      Well just like always this dipshit chevy guy walks in, chevy hat, corvette shirt, and a bowtie key chain. He says, “I need a set of valve cover gaskets for a small block chevy… “
                      Old man says “what year and motor?”
                      Chev-tard snaps back, “It doesn’t matter, they are all the same.”
                      Like I said this dude had no time for fools, so he just turns around walks back to the felpro gaskets and grabs the first valve cover set he sees. The customer didn’t even look at the box, he just paid for it and left. Few hours later he comes back in flabbergasted.
                      Tard: “You sold me the wrong gaskets!”
                      Old man: “But you said they are all the same?”
                      Tard: “uh”
                      Old man: “Now do you want to tell me what the hell engine you have, or should I go grab the next set on the shelf?”
                      I nearly fell out laughing. God I love old people who just don’t give a fuck anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                        I work with this old bastard ... who was asked for a set of head gaskets for a 327. The first words out of his mouth were "Is that a chevrolet motor?"
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          Touche.
                          "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X