Do we have any physics gurus in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have any physics gurus in here?

This has to do with an ongoing lawsuit I'm working on, so I'm not at liberty to divulge too many of the facts and I'm not even sure I have enough of the variable necessary to calculate what I'm looking for, but I'll give it a shot.

A 210 lb. object is at rest on a relatively flat platform that is 9 feet off of the ground. How much force would it take to throw/catapult said object 15 feet in the air? In essence, a person has claimed to have been on said platform and that something happened that caused the platform suddenly to move back & upward throwing/catapulting the person a distance of 15 feet and that they were injured as a result.

I'm sorry to have to be so vague, but can anyone answer the question or give me an idea of what other variables are needed in order to answer it?

TYIA!

PM Matt "Strychnine"

btw, I'm still retaining you for the case we discussed prior... just been too busy to get you the documents.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Was gonna say 'strychnine'.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Black2002ls has a physics degree.

Comment

I should be an expert, took the damn class twice

Comment

Depends on the structure of the 9 ft object, direction of the path of said person and most important.... weight and speed of the object that collided with said object.

Comment

Strychnine is your best bet. I am too far removed from it and haven't used any of it since I graduated...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Possibly, if the structure unintentionally became a catapult.

Comment

Matt is being a baller and hanging out in Lake Tahoe with his wife. Might take him some time to get back to you.

Comment

A five ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound coconut.

Comment

Oh, alright, I'll answer it.

I'd suggest ruffdaddy then.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I'm not a physics guru and my answer may in fact be wrong, but I'll give it a shot. I read your description as trying to lift an object 15 feet into the air, so I'm disregarding the 9 foot height you mentioned. I can come back to it later if in fact you meant 6 feet.

I like to work in metric units for stuff like this, so 210lb. = 95.2 kg, which is mass not weight. But taking in gravity at 9.8 m/s^2 times 95.2 kg = 932.96 kg m/s^2 or simply 932.96 Newtons. So now we know we need to lift an object 933 Newtons a distance of 15 feet, or 4.57 meters. So 933 newtons times 4.57 meters = 4.264 kilojoules. If 6 feet (1.82m), then 1.698 kilojoules.

Edit: I just realized a lot of folks probably don't remember or know what joules means. Joules is basically a unit of force over a given amount of time. The last part is the key - over a certain period of time. This could be instantaneous, several seconds or whatever. Most people tend to understand power, such as in electricity we use watts. So let's assume we want to lift this weight almost instantaneously, I'll use 0.1 seconds. So for the 15 feet figure, 4264 joules is a little over 42 kilowatts. The 6 is about 17 kilowatts.
                        Last edited by Chuck_Finley; 04-02-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

DAYUM! Look at the big brain on Chuck! Impressive...

I just reread my post and it appears that in an effort to not disclose too much, my description was probably too vague. Some of the facts leading to the alleged accident differ from those below, but this is the best comparative fact pattern of what allegedly happened:

A 30K lb. piece of heavy construction equipment was being used to lift and hold a 2K lb. object 1 foot off the ground. The object was being held by the bucket of the piece of equipment. A 210 lb. person was 9 feet off the ground laying on top of the bucket. The 2K lb. object fell off of the bucket and released all of its weight instantaneously. As a result, the bucket suddenly moved up/rared back/moved in some way and caused the person to fall off. Based on all of that, how much force would it take to throw the 210 pound person off of the bucket and cause him to land 15 feet away from his original location on the bucket? I assume the weight of the bucket and the angle the boom/arm was at when the weight was released are relevant factors in the calculations, but unfortunately I don't have that info.

Does that fact pattern make my question clearer?

Comment

#grip #husks

Comment

the airplane will not take off!

Comment

Working...
                              X