Another Fort Hood shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    I should remind everyone that Obama had Nadal Hassan's shooting classified as this as well.
    That is the same bullshit they tried with the Benghazi attack until everyone called them out on it. Fucking liars.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Obama paused during his fundraiser to say "That sucks" and then was onto another. Just like Bengazi.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Sad news...
        Originally posted by Da Prez
        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

At least Lopez had the decency to off himself... we won't have to go through a 10 year trial
          to extract justice.

Condolences to those who were killed and injured.

mardyn

Comment

Definitely white-hispanic.

Comment

If this fool is an 88m (truck driver) then why does he have pics with a blue cord (infantry).
              Reclass maybe?

Apparently he was pissed because he was denied leave to attend his mothers funeral, but wound up getting to go.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Well, it looks like the owner of a certain gun shop down there might want to find a new line of work. It seems like Lopez bought his pistol at the same shop where Hasan bought his. That's going to bring a LOT of unwanted attention.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                  Well, it looks like the owner of a certain gun shop down there might want to find a new line of work. It seems like Lopez bought his pistol at the same shop where Hasan bought his. That's going to bring a LOT of unwanted attention.
                  Time to relocate and rename
                  2012 GT500

Comment

News flash, they also had the same barber! Killeen isn't a real big town and it's close to the base.

Comment

And there's only one really decent gun shop in the town. My M4 came from the same place.

Comment

So he was denied time to go to his mothers funeral? That's some bs and I'm sure the guy wasn't to happy. Still no reason to do what he did but it could have been a catalyst. 2 family acquaintances in the last 2 weeks have committed suicide. All were on anti depressants
                        Last edited by Captain Crawfish; 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

His Mother died back in November in Puerto Rico, he was given two days leave to attend
                          the funeral... (according to channel 8 news this morning)

Dude was angry about something, but given the length of time from is Mother's death, I suspect it was something other than that.

mardyn

Comment

I've heard that he was also denied leave for Easter.

Comment

He was only at Hood since February and was at the WTU. It's not abnormal to be denied leave when you're fresh to your unit.

One of the three soldiers killed in the shooting rampage at Fort Hood died while trying to hold a door shut that would have led the gunman to a room packed with military personnel, his fiance says.

The alleged gunman, Spc. Ivan Lopez, later shot and killed himself.

Sgt. First Class Danny Ferguson, a native of Mulberry, Fla., who had just returned from Afghanistan, died while trying to keep the shooter out of the room, Kristen Haley, also a soldier, tells WTSP-TV.

"He held that door shut because it wouldn't lock," Haley, who was nearby when the shooting broke out, tells 10 News, the Tampa TV station. "It seems the doors would be bullet proof, but apparently they're not, If he wasn't the one standing there holding those doors closed, that shooter would have been able to get through and shoot everyone else."

Army officials say a "verbal altercation" may have preceded the shooting spree, but there is no indication that Lopez, who allegedly opened fire and killed three people and wounded 16, was targeting specific individuals.

There is "strong evidence," however, that the 34-year-old alleged gunman "had a medical history that indicated an unstable psychiatric or psychological condition," Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, head of the Army's III Corps at Fort Hood, said Thursday.

Lopez shot and killed himself after being confronted by a military police officer.

Sgt.Timothy Owens, 37, of Illiois, was also killed in the attack, according to this mother, the AP reports. Mary Muntean, of Effingham, Ill., said she was notified of her son's death by his wife, Billie Owens.

One of the injured soldiers was identified by his wife as Sgt. Jonathan Westbrook, of McComb, Miss., the Associated Press reported. Renee Powell Westbrook told the AP that her husband was recovering from wounds to the chest and neck.

Also injured was as Maj. Patrick Miller, 32, an Iraq War veteran from Allegany, N.Y., who was shot in the abdomen, WGRZ-TV reports.

The victims have not been officially identified, but were all military personnel.

Milley said the shooter walked into a building on the post Wednesday afternoon and opened fire, got into a car, fired more shots and then went to another building shooting before he was engaged by the female MP.

Milley did not elaborate on a possible motive for the shooting, but said the "verbal altercation" involved another soldier or soldiers.

"There is a strong possibility that that immediately preceded the shooting,"Milley said. Lopez purchased the .45-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun used in the shootings at a local gun store March 1.

Last month, according to Fox News Latino, Lopez -- purportedly using the name "Ivan Slipknot" on Faecbook, posted comments in Spanish in which he said the "devil had taken him and that he was "full of hatred."

The post, dated March 1, referred to angry over a belief that he had been robbed.

"I have just lost my inner peace, full of hatred, I think this time the devil will take me," Spc. Iván López posted on his Facebook page.

"I was robbed last night and I am sure it was 2 "flacos" (guys). Green light and finger ready. As easy as that."

While the reasons behind the attack remain a mystery, Army officials said that Lopez was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder, but had seen no combat while deployed in Iraq three years ago.

"His records show no wounds, no involvement — direct involvement — in combat," said Army Secretary John McHugh, the U.S. Army's top civilian official. "As Gen. Milley said, no record of Purple Heart or any injury that might lead us to further investigate a battle-related TBI (traumatic brain injury) or such."

Milley said Lopez had "self-diagnosed" a traumatic brain injury. "He was not wounded in action."

On Thursday, McHugh said the suspected shooter had two deployments, including the one in Iraq. Lopez, a native of Puerto Rico who has been married twice and has four children, enlisted as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver.

Lopez, who was on a variety of prescribed drugs including Ambien, had not yet been diagnosed for post-traumatic stress disorder. But he was also undergoing treatment for depression, anxiety, sleep disturbance and a variety of other issues, McHugh said.

"He was seen just last month by a psychiatrist," McHugh said. "He was fully examined. And as of this morning, we had no indication on the record of that examination that there was any sign of likely violence, either to himself or to others. No suicidal ideation."

Last year, Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death in the Nov. 5, 2009, attack at Fort Hood on his fellow soldiers as they waited inside a crowded building on the base. That shooting spree left 13 dead and more than 30 wounded, in the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in U.S. history. Hasan was convicted and awaits execution at a federal prison.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on Wednesday night traced the gun used in Wednesday's attack to a local gun shop, said a federal law enforcement official not authorized to comment publicly. The official confirmed that the gun had been purchased at Guns Galore, the same shop that sold a weapon to Hasan.

Pentagon regulations require troops who live off base to register weapons if they intend to bring them onto the installations, Warren said. Those weapons cannot be concealed and base security personnel conduct random checks to ensure compliance, he said.

"We try to do everything we can to encourage soldiers to register their personal weapons, even when they live off post," McHugh said. "We are not legally able to compel them to register weapons when they reside off post."

Soldiers who live on posts in base housing may also keep registered firearms. Soldiers in barracks must keep them in a locked arms room, Warren said.

Comment

I can definitely understand his frustrations, the Army makes it abundantly clear that they could care less about your personal life. We went on a cruise in February and still haven't received a control number. Did all the training, filed all the paperwork as soon as we could and even hand carried it to brigade and it's been sitting for 4 months. We literally didn't know if we could go until 6 hours before the ship left and it was a 5 hour drive to Galveston.

Still though I'm not a psychopath so I never thought of shooting random people.

Comment

Working...
                                X