No announcement yet.

DFWMustangs stock market game 4 starts 3/25/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol I'm in the EXXI boat. My position is worth $3.60 fucking ouch.

SUNE is up 82% today, so that's nice.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• EXXI jumped a few days before they filed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
        EXXI jumped a few days before they filed.
        But not near the $16 dolla I bought it at.
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

• AHP - choooo$$$$ chooooooo$$$$$$ fuckers!

Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• Well you could have warned us sooner......thanks....

Comment

Well you could have warned us sooner......thanks....
              lol

Comment

• Anyone thinking about buying the VIX now that it is so low?

Comment

Anyone thinking about buying the VIX now that it is so low?
                  How you gonna do it ?
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

• Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    Lol I'm in the EXXI boat. My position is worth $3.60 fucking ouch.

SUNE is up 82% today, so that's nice.
                    I wish SUNE was still up! I've still got 330 shares....
                    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      How you gonna do it ?
                      See....that is how you know I am completely new to all this! So when CNBC and people talk about shorting the VIX? How does that work? I completely missed the "index" label next to the VIX ticker.....

Yeah....I am feeling dumb....

Comment

See....that is how you know I am completely new to all this! So when CNBC and people talk about shorting the VIX? How does that work? I completely missed the "index" label next to the VIX ticker.....

Yeah....I am feeling dumb....
                        Do you know enough to know that "shorting the VIX" does NOT mean buying it?

Comment

• I do now.....

I know just enough to have lost a bunch on VRX, but make a few bucks on ICPT, MO, EBIO and a few others. Just learning how to read charts.

Comment

I do now.....

I know just enough to have lost a bunch on VRX, but make a few bucks on ICPT, MO, EBIO and a few others. Just learning how to read charts.
                            Buying something, in the traditional sense and what most common people think of, is the equivalent of going "long" a position. You purchase it, or go long, thinking it will appreciate in value. You profit by buying it at a price and selling it later at a higher price.

When you think a security will decrease in value, you "short" it ... you profit from it going down. You sell a position you do not own at a current price then profit later by buying it back to close it out at a lower price (you hope). It's the same process, only in reverse. Instead of buy low/sell high, you're selling high/buying low.

I'm sure QIK46 will be in here to tell you to go long TVIX b/c it's going to $1 million a share, but you do NOT need to be fucking around with the .vix until you fully understand what's going on. The vix is NOT a tangible asset - it's the plug for volatility backed out of the formula for the Black Scholes option pricing model. Since you cannot directly trade it, the only way to replicate its performance is in the derivatives market via futures or vix options. Long story short, the actual .vix (which you cannot directly trade) can remain flat, not move at all for months, and you can lose your ass on a position that attempts to replicate it. These vix replication lose 60% - ish a year even when the underlying vix itself remains flat due to decay that's embedded in the derivatives. Bottom line, paper trade the thing for several months until you understand what's going on - the VAST majority of the general public has no business playing around with vix related products.

Comment

• My account is not set up to short anything. I started out with fun money (separate account from our IRA and 401k). I was long WYNN, KO, AAPL and got in on BABA right at the IPO. After losing some on WYNN and BABA, I decided to quit playing the hold forever game. Started playing FCEL, PLUG, and EBIO. Then moved to VRX, LNKD and SPY. Now the only thing I am holding is PRGO, MO, BCS, and VRX. Playing VRX pretty much daily when it looks like it is going to run.

I actually moved the IRA account to all cash on Tuesday. Still have our 401k invested but planning to move it next week to a more stable holding (maybe something more bond based?)....still trying to figure out how to reduce my exposure during the next few months. Figured I would go to cash and wait for a dip. With the market at highs I just felt it was not worth risking a huge dip. I know it will likely be higher, at some point before we retire, but I feel that with the market at all time highs....it is very likely to pull back soon.

One of our former advisors said, if you can avoid one or two major dips in the market before you retire it could be like having an extra ~5 years of growth. Probably not that much of a difference but "all time high" does not sound like a great place to stay in.

Comment

Working...
                              X