Mars One trip selects candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars One trip selects candidates

Very interesting and good video. I personally dont see the point and question very strongly that it would ever be successful.

I think the guy with kids whos even considering leaving them is a total asshole. His wife seems totally cool with it though so I dunno.

Over 200,000 people have applied to take a one-way trip to Mars. A new digital short interviews five of those prospective Mars astronauts to find out who they are and why they would want to become a part of history.

"Mars One Way" documents the thought process of Cody Reeder, Casey Hunter, Will Robbins, Katelyn Kane, and Ken Sullivan. The five applicants all come from different backgrounds but have one similarity: they are more curious about life on Mars than attached to their current living situation on Earth.

"How do you react when your husband says, 'Guess what? It's one way. I'm not coming back'?" asks Becky Sullivan. If chosen, her husband, Ken, would leave the family, including their two kids, behind. "I'm kind of in the 'It's not real' phase right now."

"There's a lot more drama in our relationship lately, about the reality of, are you choosing family or are you choosing Mars?" adds Ken. "My little boy Connor, if he just came up to me and said, 'Dad, don't go,' that would probably change my mind."

The whole situation sounds as if it were lifted from a movie at best or an elaborate prank at worst. But it's all real life. Of the other volunteers profiled, a couple said they could change their mind. Hunter could be swayed away from the trip if he proposed to his girlfriend. Reeder said his girlfriend's telling him not to go might make him think otherwise.

That said, Hunter compares his life to that of a "turd in the toilet bowl of life. I just kind of float." And before mentioning his girlfriend, the professional beekeeper Reeder says he would miss his bees the most. They might be all in after all.

Mars One is a nonprofit organization created by Bas Lansdorp and Arno Wielders. Their goal is to establish a permanent human settlement on Mars. According to the project's website, astronaut training will begin next year. The first group of volunteers is set to depart in 2024.

No way I can leave my kids behind voluntarily.

Comment

No way I am going "one way" to space. Family or not.

Comment

Fuck it I'd go.
        Originally posted by talisman
        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
        Originally posted by AdamLX
        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        Because fuck you, that's why
        Originally posted by 80coupe
        nice dick, Idrivea4banger
        Originally posted by Rick Modena
        ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

4 dudes and 1 chick? Shit is gonna get real gay, or real tense.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            4 dudes and 1 chick? Shit is gonna get real gay, or real tense.
            Id think they would at least select a hot chick to start a new colony with.

Comment

Originally posted by houstondallas View Post
              Id think they would at least select a hot chick to start a new colony with.

You would have to flip the number to 4 chicks and 1 dude and incest would have to be an accepted norm for that to have a single prayer of working.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

If someone compares their life to a piece of shit in a toilet then that would be a huge red flag to cut. They are treating it like MTV Real World

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                  You would have to flip the number to 4 chicks and 1 dude and incest would have to be an accepted norm for that to have a single prayer of working.
                  Sounds like Mars is already fucked with this plan.
                  Originally posted by talisman
                  I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                  Originally posted by AdamLX
                  If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  Because fuck you, that's why
                  Originally posted by 80coupe
                  nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                  Originally posted by Rick Modena
                  ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I don't see it actually happening. But whatever...good publicity stunt.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I just want my estimated $60-something bucks back from funding this dumb shit annually - or have the choice to put it towards the forced Obama-care-trip-to-nowhere. Bunch of ego maniacs and won't feel sorry for any of them but the kids. Welcome the Mars-gen-emos.
                      I no longer shift gears - I switch beers. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by houstondallas View Post
                        "There's a lot more drama in our relationship lately, about the reality of, are you choosing family or are you choosing Mars?" adds Ken. "My little boy Connor, if he just came up to me and said, 'Dad, don't go,' that would probably change my mind."
                        Quite obvious he has no interest in being a father.
                        That said, Hunter compares his life to that of a "turd in the toilet bowl of life. I just kind of float." And before mentioning his girlfriend, the professional beekeeper Reeder says he would miss his bees the most. They might be all in after all.
                        At least this dude is honest.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                          Quite obvious he has no interest in being a father.

At least this dude is honest.
                          Yep, sounds like he fell for the "I'm on the pill" trap.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            Yep, sounds like he fell for the "I'm on the pill" trap.
                            Or, thought it would be the best thing in the whole wide world to have kids and found out it was not what was once thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Or, thought it would be the best thing in the whole wide world to have kids and found out it was not what was once thought.
                              "I always wanted to be a dad. Then I had kids, turns out, I wanted to be an uncle" Chad Daniels

Comment

Working...
                              X