Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spritz - Read Novels In Under 90 Minutes

This Insane New App Will Allow You To Read Novels In Under 90 Minutes

The reading game is about to change forever. Boston-based software developer Spritz has been in “stealth mode” for three years, tinkering with their program and leasing it out to different ebooks, apps, and other platforms.

Now, Spritz is about to go public with Samsung’s new line of wearable technology. Other apps have offered up similar types of rapid serial visual presentation to enhance reading speed and convenience on mobile devices in the past. However, what Spritz does differently (and brilliantly) is manipulate the format of the words to more appropriately line them up with the eye’s natural motion of reading.

The “Optimal Recognition Point” (ORP) is slightly left of the center of each word, and is the precise point at which our brain deciphers each jumble of letters. The unique aspect of Spritz is that it identifies the ORP of each word, makes that letter red and presents all of the ORPs at the same space on the screen. In this way, our eyes don’t move at all as we see the words, and we can therefore process information instantaneously rather than spend time decoding each word.

The game done changed. Try it for yourself.

250 words per minute:

350 words per minute:

500 words per minute:

If you go to their site you can sample up to 600 wpm

The Science

Spritz has been working for nearly 3 years in “Stealth Mode” to perfect our reading methodology. We’ve learned a lot in that time and developed our findings into the core technologies that you see here today. As an introduction to how and why Spritz works let’s start off with a few basics about reading.

Reading Basics

Traditional reading involves publishing text in lines and moving your eyes sequentially from word to word. For each word, the eye seeks a certain point within the word, which we call the “Optimal Recognition Point” or ORP. After your eyes find the ORP, your brain starts to process the meaning of the word that you’re viewing. With each new word, your eyes move, called a “saccade”, and then your eyes seek out the ORP for that word. Once the ORP is found, processing the word for meaning and context occurs and your eyes move to the next word. When your eyes encounter punctuation within and between sentences, your brain is prompted to assemble all of the words that you have read and processes them into a coherent thought.

When reading, only around 20% of your time is spent processing content. The remaining 80% is spent physically moving your eyes from word to word and scanning for the next ORP. With Spritz we help you get all that time back. For more in-depth scientific explanations on just about everything that you might want to know about how Spritz works, check out our Blog section.

Why Spritz is Different

There are lots of other reading techniques out there such as skimming (not reading every word), avoiding sub-vocalization (talking to yourself while reading) and enlarging the peripheral span (reading an entire page at a time by mental “snapshot”) that attempt to increase reading speeds. While these methods can be effective, achieving significant improvement requires intensive, continuous training and dedication. By contrast, spritzing can be learned in less than 5 minutes and, if you don’t spritz for a month, no practice is needed to return quickly to your previous speed or skill-level.

In addition, none of these methods mentioned above help you unless you’ve got a lot of physical space for your content. From the fonts that we use to the algorithms that process content, Spritz is designed from the ground up to empower effective reading on a small display area. There is a lot more to Spritz than just reading fast!

Spritz Technology

Spritzing presents reading content with the ORP located at the specific place where you’re already looking, allowing you to read without having to move your eyes. With this approach, reading becomes more efficient because Spritzing increases the time your brain spends processing content without having to waste time searching for the next word’s ORP. Spritzing also enhances reading on small screens. Because the human eye can focus on about 13 characters at a time, Spritzing requires only 13 characters’ worth of space inside our redicle. No other reading method is designed to help you read all of your content when you’re away from a large screen. But don’t take our word. The following video compares traditional reading to Spritz and is a real eye-opener when it comes to the efficiencies that are gained by placing words exactly where your brain wants them to be located

Spritz vs Traditional Reading

Removing eye movement associated with traditional reading methods not only reduces the number of times your eyes move, but also decreases the number of times your eyes pass over words for your brain to understand them. This makes Spritzing extremely efficient, precise, convenient and comfortable.

The Big Question: Where can I get Spritz?
    So far we have received interest in licensing our technologies from content providers, mobile device manufacturers, educational software developers, web portals, wearable manufacturers, e-book companies, and several others. We are actively working with these companies to bring Spritz to you. If you are interested in helping us bring Spritz to your website, mobile app or anything else, please visit us in the Developers section and sign up for more information. In addition, see below for more information on helping us test new technologies as we develop them through our beta program.

That's neat! If I'm just trying to get the information in my head that'd be cool to use. But most of the time if I'm going to read a novel I intend on sitting down and relaxing for a while. WWII literature is definitely my preference. Ever since I was very young, I have found it riveting to read.
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Amazing, but as an avid reader myself it would only further increase my monthly kindle expenditures...

Comment

Regardless how fast you are saying the words in your head it still takes your brain a few microseconds to process it into understanding. I look at stuff like this as a tool for the "look at how many books I've read" group. If you didn't understand or remember anything you read because you were pretending you were in the middle of some idiotic literary marathon, what did you gain from it?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Regardless how fast you are saying the words in your head it still takes your brain a few microseconds to process it into understanding. I look at stuff like this as a tool for the "look at how many books I've read" group. If you didn't understand or remember anything you read because you were pretending you were in the middle of some idiotic literary marathon, what did you gain from it?
          X2. I would never want to read a book like that. What if I want to reread something. Seems kind of hard to go back a paragraph. Its interesting though.
          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            That's the problem, don't say words in your head. One of the most valuable supplemental classes I took was a speed reading course. Your comprehension suffers with speed, but if you're able to retain 50% at over 1000wpm, you're capturing about as much as some reading 200wpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              ... if you're able to retain 50% at over 1000wpm, you're capturing about as much as some reading 200wpm.
              You just sent Jody into convulsions.

I can appreciate the quantum leap being made here, and I look forward to using the technology on a first pass through training materials. But for deeper comprehension, and for leisure, I will probably always prefer the way my brain reads today.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I read that fast anyway with great comprehension. Doesn't everyone?

I read both physical books & on a tablet. I'm not sure I would like to read one word at a time. It seems like cheating. I agree with the comments about sitting & relaxing while reading. I already spend enough on books & etexts as it is. I reread the books I have to save money as it is!
                sigpic

Comment

Very cool, but I agree with some others. I dont read often (just like I dont watch TV or Movies or most other time wasters) and Ill often go back and read a section, or even chapter over again if I think I missed something. Speed reading is cool for knocking down a lot of info quickly and picking the important stuff, and I do that constantly.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I really want to give it a roll but they don't have any actual apps yet. They are working with 3rd party devs to put apps out there. I would definitely give it a roll if they offered in on Kindle for iOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X