Lawn Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Equipment

Any good places that are local to look at and do hands on comparisons for lawn equipment? Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears seem to only carry a couple of brands. Would like to be able to compare more than just the brands they offer, but also the brands they offer without going to seperate stores.

Push/Self Propelled mowers
    Riding mowers
    String trimmers

Any recommendations on brands to look at or stay away from?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

I love my Echo straight shaft trimmer... Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time, even after being stored all winter.

Comment

My recommendation is to avoid Troy Bilt... We are a John Deere family and have never had issues with ours. We also live 45minutes from a dealer that can get us any parts we need within 24hrs if it's not stocked

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
        I love my Echo straight shaft trimmer... Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time, even after being stored all winter.
        X2 on Echo as well. I have the edger, trimmer, and blower and have not had a single startup issue since purchasing last year.

Comment

Sthil all the way on trimmers/blowers. Echo is fine as well just my preference on sthil.

Go somewhere that sells commercial to see the difference in box store vs quality products of the same brand names. Smith farm and garden should be local to you.

Comment

Yeah I've heard many praises for Stihl and Echo for string trimmers. They are my top 2 just haven't found a store that has them for me to look at.

What about mowers?
            Stay away from Troy Bilt
            John Deere is good but pricey
            How are the Craftsman and Husqvarna mowers?
            Any other brands that you use and would recommend that won't break the bank?

Don't need anything huge, I would say 42" cutting deck is plenty big.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I highly recommend Lowery Motor Service in Lewisville. Good people. They are a Toro and Stihl dealer. I bought my ZTR from them a little less than two years ago. They have taken good care of me.

Ask for Richard Hunt. He'll give you some good demonstrations. He's a great guy.

Comment

Where's o SEB when you need him??

Comment

There is a store on 720/hart in little elm that carries stihl and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

It all depends on how big your yard is, how often you're going to use them and how much you want to spend. I have a medium size yard (by Dallas standards) and do my yard every 5-7 days in the spring, summer and early fall. I have a Honda mower, an Echo straight-shaft trimmer, edger, etc. (you can easily switch attachments) and a commercial grade Red Max blower. It's the best collection of yard equipment I've ever owned and while they cost a little more than some, they are all built to last. I had my last Red Max blower for 8 years and it would still be kicking ass had my wife not run regular gas through it and blown the motor.

Depending on the brands you're looking for, there's Casey's Lawn on NW Hwy just west of Garland Road in Dallas, Richardson Saw & Lawn at I-75 and Spring Valley and an other place in Fort Worth that I can't remember the name of right now, but he sells stuff on eBay.

Comment

Stihl is hands down the best when it comes to weedeaters. Echo works great though for roughly half the price. You'll regret buying anything else.

Bought a Stihl chainsaw from Crockett Service on Harry Hines, and I was pleased with their service. If you buy a walk behind edger, McLane is great.

For a walk behind mower, I've got some Hondas that are 20+ and still run. I've got a Lawn Boy 2 stroke from late 70s that has always been great, but the wheel pattern takes some getting used to. A buddy has one of their 4 stroke mowers that has been trouble free for 5-6 years.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Craigslist. You can find good deals all the time. I picked up a very slightly used Honda HRC216( commercial) for $350 its retails for $1200.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                          There is a store on eldorado/hart in little elm that carries stihl and a bunch of other stuff.
                          fixed

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Stihl is hands down the best when it comes to weedeaters. Echo works great though for roughly half the price. You'll regret buying anything else.

Bought a Stihl chainsaw from Crockett Service on Harry Hines, and I was pleased with their service. If you buy a walk behind edger, McLane is great.
                            Yup, I've got a Stihl line trimmer that is now 13 years old. I've only done the maintenance basics and it has never failed me. Echo isn't bad but I kind doubt they'll have the longevity..

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post

Ask for Richard Hunt. He'll give you some good demonstrations. He's a great guy.
                              Lol. I wouldn't.

CN

Comment

Working...
                              X