At what point would you quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
    Agreed. Bitching about commute, to someone who does it everyday, will make you come off as a whiney bitch IMO
    Yup, some people get too comfortable at their job and they start thinking that they are so valuable that the company would shut the doors if they left. In this day in age, you don't go fucking biting the hand that feeds you. His case might be different but I wouldn't go making waves about not being able to work from home. Most do a great job but like Matt mentioned, it is a perk and sometimes you lose perks.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      If you don't have the stomach to do your own thing, you might want to ease in one direction or another.

My woman spent 8 months trying to get on with a company and was finally notified yesterday that they went in another direction. 8 months.

That sucks.

And as others have said, unless your name is on the front door, you are replaceable. That's not to say you shouldn't use this to negotiate. Just be careful with your approach to said negotiations.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My wife was at her company 25 years, they gave her a weeks notice and 6 months severance pay and see ya! No going away party, no silver anniversary gift, just a "were cutting down, bye thanks for your service."
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          Agreed. Bitching about commute, to someone who does it everyday, will make you come off as a whiney bitch IMO
          THIS!

Suck it up OP, most of us commute to work on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            Its never a companies problem if you live far from you job. you applied for the job, you have to pay your way to get there. Like Matt mentioned, you can probably get that small amount per year in a raise, but in this day and age I certainly wouldn't go in there demanding shit, especially small insignificant shit.

Maybe Im not a dfwm baller, but 3k a year is significant to me if I was making it and it suddenly vanished into nothingness.

Sorry about you and Sean's old ladies. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
              THIS!

Suck it up OP, most of us commute to work on a daily basis.
              Yep. I'm driving from Mckinney to down town Fort Worth for school. No pay, 65 miles of DFW's finest roads/traffic and all the bullshit associated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                Yeah, but there is a ton of things I do every day that does not require me to access VPN to get done. Of course mgmt doesn't look at it that way.
                I never log in to the VPN, all my work is done on the phone, through email, and by meeting with clients. My management looks at revenue as the barometer, nothing else really matters as far as they are concerned.

That would royally suck if they pulled outrWAH privileges, commuting 1,700 miles every day would be a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  Maybe Im not a dfwm baller, but 3k a year is significant to me if I was making it and it suddenly vanished into nothingness.

Sorry about you and Sean's old ladies. Sucks.
                  Thanks bro, luckily for us she found a J-O-B in two months and we were double dipping on the severance pay. A little less pay at her new job, but her commute was cut in half (saves us on gas and W&T on her vehicle) and no more tolls to the NTTA, so that helped with her small loss in pay. The insurance, dental and bonus plan will more than make up for it at the end of the year.

3k a year breaks down to $250.00 a month or $62.50 a week, it sounds like the OP has been saving this for awhile so it shouldn't be that significant as far as a loss.
                  Ask Rafa how much he spends on gas and tolls every day...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                    Finding a new job in this economy can be hit or miss. You've got what sounds like a pretty cushy job situation right now, with friends in management and a lot of freedoms that other people just don't have. Think carefully about the situation that you currently have before issuing any ultimatums to HP.

Working from home is a privilege and not a right; you have experienced the benefits of that privilege for some time now. So they want you to show up and man a desk now? That's what most of the working population has to do each day. Meg has spoken so it sounds like a done deal within HP at this point. I don't know that you have much choice in the matter.

Someone mentioned Melissa Meyer - she pulled the VPN logs and noticed a lack of activity and that is what got their work from home privileges pulled. People were obviously not appreciating what they had been allowed to do. I expect that this move to pull workers back from the work-at-home deal is the same thing.
                    I would have typed up the exact same thing.

I work for a marketing firm that had HP as a major client until recently. All of the HP folks on our client calls were bitching that they now had to come into the office, lol. HP as a company is really aggressive about getting the most from their money these days. They reviewed our digital marketing platform and decided it would be cheaper to build it internally, by using developers and engineers that they felt weren't productive enough in their then-current roles.

So far it hasn't been particularly successfully, but it sure is cheap.
                    Last edited by 46Tbird; 03-05-2014, 11:25 AM.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      Its never a companies problem if you live far from you job. you applied for the job, you have to pay your way to get there. Like Matt mentioned, you can probably get that small amount per year in a raise, but in this day and age I certainly wouldn't go in there demanding shit, especially small insignificant shit.
                      This job was created as a telecommuting job. There was never any intent for us to be in the office.

However, today my boss indicated that there would be some sort of compensation for travel expenses. One guy on our team actually has to go buy a car now. He dropped back to just using his wife's car because he never needed it. As long as they aren't taking money out of my pocket, I'll go along with it.

Comment

My old lady works from home for a major bank and they have been making some people come back in the office. I'm sure eventually they all will have to.

I hope they do. I hate that she works from home. It had some perks don't get me wrong, but I'm sick of her cabin fever lol
                        07 f250-family truckster
                        08 Denali -baby hauler
                        52 f1-rust bucket
                        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Working...
                        X