So this is what $60 million gets you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is what $60 million gets you

The voters in Katy, Texas, who recently rejected a $70 million high school football stadium proposal, must be breathing a sigh of relief after what has become of the most expensive prep athletics facility in U.S. history built just 18 months ago by another football-crazed town four hours north on Rte. 45. To put it mildly, the $60 million tax-funded Eagle Stadium that is home to the two-time defending Class 5A, Division I state champ Allen (Texas) High football program just became a complete and utter disaster.

Remember that $60 million Texas prep football stadium built in 2012? It's closed

The voters in Katy, Texas, who recently rejected a $70 million high school football stadium proposal, must be breathing a sigh of relief after what has become of the most expensive prep athletics facility in U.S. history built just 18 months ago by another football-crazed town four hours north on Rte. 45.

To put it mildly, the $60 million tax-funded Eagle Stadium that is home to the two-time defending Class 5A, Division I state champ Allen (Texas) High football program just became a complete and utter disaster.

According to numerous reports out of Dallas, the state-of-the-art 18,000 seat facility has been closed to address "extensive cracking" in the concrete. The news comes less than two years after the stadium, which features a $1.3 million scoreboard and other extravagant features, opened to national fanfare.

The cracks in the stadium's concourse were first discovered when the stadium opened in August 2012 and have since grown to as large as three-quarters of an inch, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Eagle Stadium, where Allen has never lost a game, will reportedly be closed until at least June pending a review of the design developed by PBK Architects and the work overseen by Pogue Construction. Only 10 percent into that review process, Allen Independent School District officials have already called off the graduation ceremony scheduled at the stadium and fear home games could be affected this fall.

"This is a significant investment for our community," Allen's interim superintendent Beth Nichols told the Associated Press. "We are very disappointed and upset that these problems have arisen. It is unacceptable. Our students, families, and the entire community have always supported the district and our commitment to them is to make sure this issue is appropriately resolved."

While PBK Architects would not provide a comment when contacted by the AP, the firm is reportedly working alongside Pogue Construction to address the matter. CEO Ben Pogue told The Dallas Morning News he expects the structural issues to be resolved before the football season. His company is building a separate $32.5 million facility for the school district that is also allegedly under review.

Needless to say, the stadium had its critics from the moment it was approved in 2009, when many Texas public schools were slashing budgets, so this news can't be going over well with taxpayers.

American Football

Crack is whack.

Comment

I bet you will find that during the build process there was many people at Allen ISD that pressed the contractor to meet a deadline. You know hurry up, we don't have time to wait around for soil compaction test to get back, na we don't need to do any core samples on that concrete we have a damn football game to play soon, notice the open date of August? Just finish and be done with it.

Comment

I just think this is hilarious. Why does a school need a $60MM stadium again?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          Mouthbreather GTG's!!!
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Because our children are our future.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
              Because our children are our future.
              Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                Teach them well and let them lead the way.
                Show them all the sports ability they possess inside...

Comment

Pogue is a shitbag contractor, no wonder the stadium is as well constructed as it is. I think last I heard papa Pogue was in prison for tax evasion amongst other things. I wonder if all the 60 mil went to the stadium, or if any of it greased a few palms along the way.

Sent from my RadarRange
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

Pogue Mahone?

Comment

I live in Allen, glad to see my tax dollars were well spent as usual!

Comment

Because Texas Football that's way.

Comment

Originally posted by 564826 View Post
                          Because Texas Football that's why.
                          Corrected and agree.

Texas football über alles!
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by 564826 View Post
                            Because Texas Football that's way.

Comment

Working...
                            X