Anyone know a good contract lawyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a good contract lawyer?

So we were selling our house in Carrollton and had a buyer who put down a $1,000 earnest money.
    Time goes by and they want to move the closing date sooner, we said ok. Then they wanted to move it even sooner. We said we couldn't because we had no where to stay.
    They wanted to lease it back to us for 2 weeks, we said not possible.
    So everything was good, things were signed and we bent over backwards to fix little stuff they wanted, like door stoppers on every door. As well as a lot of time and money in other stuff.
    Well time got closer to the closing date and we were informed now the buyers can not get financed due to the buyer telling the bank he took another job and hope this doesn't effect the loan.
    Of course it does, so the bank said they needed 30 days of employment history/checks with the new company.
    So now they still wanted to move in, but to have us lease it to them until they get financed.
    We said no, we're not leasing the house, we're selling it. Plus I think it would've turning into a back situation come "buying time".
    So contract expired, and contract was breached by them. So now they want the $1,000 earnest money back, which anyone knows the seller does not have or see that money, but does need to sign a release.
    We hesitated for a couple days, because we had put a lot of time and money into accommodating their wants, but ended up signing the release anyway.
    Then we had another buyer and another contract, which they would end up buying the house.
    Well as we were packing and it came closer to moving time, the doorbell rang and I opened it to received a summons that I was being sued for the $1000 earnest money I never had and that was already released back to original buyer who breached the contract.
    So we called and faxed the title company release doc for the earnest money to the people down at the courthouse. And thought it was done.
    Now over a year later I get a summons in the mail stating a trial is set for June for this.
    So I would really like to talk to a contract lawyer to see if I can take care of this without wasting my time going to trial. We have all the paperwork showing he breached the contract as well as the earnest money being released back to him.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Cliff Notes:
    Had buyer for house,
    buyer puts $1,000 earnest money down,
    buyer tells bank he's switching jobs,
    bank no finance now,
    buyer breaches contract,
    buyer wants $1,000 earnest money,
    seller hesitates but releases $1,000 earnest money,
    buyer sues for $1,000 earnest money seller never had,
    seller sends title release doc to court,
    seller thought it was done,
    over a year later seller gets summons saying a trial is set,
    seller wants to talk to lawyer to see if it can be handled without going to trial.

EDIT: Summons says set for Trial, NOT Jury Trial. Received this and a Jury Duty Notice in the mail the same day and stuck'em on the fridge together. So got a little mixed up there.
    Last edited by Up0n0ne; 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM. Reason: ad cliff notes
    2 Chronicles 7:14
    If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Countersuit time.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      Countersuit time.
      Yep. At a minimum legal fees.

Comment

Sounds like they are fishing. If they breached, they shouldn't have received the money back.

Comment

silly question, but wouldn't his fees he is accruing outweigh the $1000? Why make that gamble?

Comment

Did you verify that the earnest money was returned to them? Make sure it isn't still sitting at the title company. The problem with getting an attorney is the cost.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Thanks guys and yes we have a copy of the release from title company.
              It was released a few days before I got the 1st summons.
              That's why after I faxed the court the paperwork and docs and didn't hear back, I thought it was done.
              That was like 8 months ago.

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              silly question, but wouldn't his fees he is accruing outweigh the $1000? Why make that gamble?
              That's why I was going to see if this can be resolved without going to trial. I've heard of trials getting cancelled, hoping this can be another.
              If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Then i would talk to an attorney. Are they suing for the $1,000 or some sort of non-performance?
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  Generally the losing party has to pay court costs.

Originally posted by Up0n0ne View Post
                  Thanks guys and yes we have a copy of the release from title company.
                  It was released a few days before I got the 1st summons.
                  That's why after I faxed the court the paperwork and docs and didn't hear back, I thought it was done.
                  That was like 8 months ago.

That's why I was going to see if this can be resolved without going to trial. I've heard of trials getting cancelled, hoping this can be another.
                  You can request a summary judgment, especially if the contract is legit. But, you need to speak to an attorney.

Comment

I would counter sue on principle and go balls deep in them....

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      You can request a summary judgment, especially if the contract is legit. But, you need to speak to an attorney.
                      Summery judgement would be really nice and the contract is definitely legit. I'm hoping someone will chime in and recommend an attorney.

Comment

Summery judgement would be really nice and the contract is definitely legit. I'm hoping someone will chime in and recommend an attorney.
                        Shoot gear_jammer a PM
                        Where is the jurisdiction? Find an attorney THERE that knows the court/judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          I would counter sue on principle...
                          This has crossed my mind a lot. Even though I would rather the headache just go away, these people have been rather unreasonable from the beginning.

Comment

This has crossed my mind a lot. Even though I would rather the headache just go away, these people have been rather unreasonable from the beginning.
                            Balls deep.... You need to send a message, don't be a pussy

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                              Shoot gear_jammer a PM
                              Where is the jurisdiction? Find an attorney THERE that knows the court/judge.
                              Not to sound naive but jurisdiction would be county? House was in Carrollton, Dallas County, but trial is to be held Justice of the Peace on Marsh Ln in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                              X