01 jaguar xjr yay or nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 jaguar xjr yay or nay

FIL is looking at one and asked me about em. Problems and reliable stuff. Its the 4.0L v8 supercharged. Good looking ride. Lmk if there turds or decent older dailies.

I think LaserSVT has/had one. I can tell you from my profession they have one of the worst value retention of any vehicle. But the freefall is probably mostly over.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The fuck? Not no, but hell no. Tell your father in law to look at a similar year DTS.

My friend's dad owns Jag-Mac, and all of his old jags have corvette engines and painless harnesses in them, if that gives you an idea of what a jaguar mechanic thinks of them.
      Last edited by YALE; 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I love how they look , but know nothing of them mechanically. Values are all over the place though.

Comment

Ya its on cl for like 9k. Has 50k miles. Looked super clean.

Comment

I have owned two Jags. There is a reason that a 50k car is that cheap! They are freaking expensive to maintain. Example..........there are no specs on turning the rotors, so replacement was needed on the two I owned previously whenever it needed brakes.

During the divorce, I insisted that ex take the Jag.........

Comment

Lol touche Randy. Points have been shared with FIL. Same guy who gave me a mint Colt 1911... I want the best info possible. DFWM delivers!

Comment

We bought a really clean xj8 at the auction, and proceeded to regret the fuck out of it. The cooling system is akin to the SVO, and we had to drop $350 on a "rebuilt" wiper motor because the home switch died, and killed the gear in the motor. Shortly after we put it in ( about a 3 hour job with two people and cut hands) it did the same thing.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  We bought a really clean xj8 at the auction, and proceeded to regret the fuck out of it. The cooling system is akin to the SVO, and we had to drop $350 on a "rebuilt" wiper motor because the home switch died, and killed the gear in the motor. Shortly after we put it in ( about a 3 hour job with two people and cut hands) it did the same thing.
                  Positive ground wiring, FTL.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Sorry ass pile of junk IMO!

Comment

It's a great example of an American company trying to tell a bankrupt British company how to build cars, which were designed by two teams of engineers that hated each other and were assembled by the most disgruntled employees the UK could offer.

Run as far away as you possibly can.

If it's British and it doesn't fly it's probably rubbish.

Comment

I had a 1998.

I sold it for $6000 and it was in excellent shape.

Overall the 97-02 XJRs are great cars. That was still Jag tech but it was the better years of it. Just like any car they do have common issues but none are bad.
                        Front shock bushings are garbage. Jag wants $300 per side for new perches. You can buy a much better bushing on Ebay for $60 a set and they drop right in the factory mount with relative ease.
                        The Norma fittings on all the vac and coolant lines suck and are expensive. How I fixed mine was just running standard rubber hoses with hose clamps. $5 vs $500 and much more solid.
                        Throttle body issues on some cars. That can be a $500 repair but its not very common.
                        Hood latches are also an issue. But if you close the hood properly then it no longer becomes an issue. You gently close the hood, not slam it. Its not a fuggin Chevy.
                        Front wheel bearings. Now the bearing is only $50 but you do need a special tool to remove them that costs $150 for the socket.
                        That's really about it. They are very robust cars. Mine had 155k on it and didn't leak a drop, started instantly and surprised quite a few sports cars.

Brakes are priced the same as any American passenger cars as are the shocks and bushings and tie rods etc etc.

I put a Mina Galleries CAI and a smaller supercharger pulley then removed the rear mufflers. Car was still very quiet with only a little extra bass tone but those three mods really woke the car up.

Hope it helps.
                        Last edited by LaserSVT; 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM.
                        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Damnit, I like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X