Cutting Torch: Harris vs Hobart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Torch: Harris vs Hobart

I have a Harris cutting torch set, and it only came with a cutting head. From the research I did a while back, it takes an act of God to get any other head for it (they are hard to find dealers for, and expensive when you can find them)

This is what I have

This is what I would like to get

The Hobart deal seems great, and I'm not dealing with worn out elastic on my goggles, it would come with a heating/brazing head, and getting additional heads for it would be easier, I would hope.

Opinions?
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

I can't see buying something you already own.

Have you checked out Metroplex Welding for Harris stuff. Are you really needing all the other heads ? I have an "vintage" Harris torch and only use the cutting head, small tip, big tip.

Just my 2 cents, don't by what you already own.

You can buy new elastic at Metroplex.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post

Have you checked out Metroplex Welding for Harris stuff. Are you really needing all the other heads ? I have an "vintage" Harris torch and only use the cutting head, small tip, big tip.

Metroplex welding supply is no longer, they've been purchased by Airgas. Airgas can get you any Harris accessories you may need.
      The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
        Metroplex welding supply is no longer, they've been purchased by Airgas. Airgas can get you any Harris accessories you may need.
        Just need a few heads.
        I'll call Airgas. Thanks.
        Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Do not give you're money to Airgas, they're bunch of morons. They hire ppl that know nothing about welding and tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

For torch parts or repairs there's a in Grand Prairie off of Dallas St called Torch and Gauge Shop. It's a hole in the wall looking place but ppl send their torches and gauges from all over the US to them as they know their stuff. Go there and they'll have or be able to get any part you could ever imagine, and they're well priced.

If you're looking to upgrade, go with Victor. There's a reason they're one of if not the top name in the welding industry in regards to torches and gauges.

Comment

I'm in Austin.

Comment

Harbor freight!

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                I'm in Austin.
                Call them, they ship and really do have good prices.

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                Harbor freight!
                First torch I bought when I first started welding was a HF torch set as I was broke as all get out. It actually started on fire, scared the shit out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
                  Call them, they ship and really do have good prices.
                  I will. I called Harris directly this morning and asked them who I should call in Austin. Everyone they told me to call said "NOPE!".

Originally posted by phaux View Post
                  First torch I bought when I first started welding was a HF torch set as I was broke as all get out. It actually started on fire, scared the shit out of me.
                  That's exactly what I thought when I saw the HF reply. I use some HF stuff, but for this level, I would rather not have a torch made by a malnourished 10yo. He can make my hammers all day, but not my torches.

Comment

X2 on the torch n gauge.
                    This is where everyone sends their stuff for repair.

The only place to go to.

Oh, and x2 in not giving airgas money, eff them.
                    Last edited by TexasT; 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM. Reason: added airgas dis
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
                      Thanks, didn't know that.

I have had good luck with the ppl from the NW highway store. Are they sill open till noon on Sat ?

Comment

Torch and gauge was a breath of fresh air. Those guys have access to the goods. Based on what I would have to buy to get a rosebud or a welding tip, I might trade up to a uniweld or flame tech, selling my torch & them shopping for a new torch modeled after victor where accessories are more commonplace.

Comment

Working...
                        X