No announcement yet.

Anyone been to Atlantis/bahamas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barcelona is cool , but I prefer Mallorca...
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

VRBO is the shit
      Playa Del Carmen is a very reasonable place to vacation/honeymoon

I look at vacations three ways:
      1. VBRO.. usually a little more "work". You typically have to go food shopping and you'll have to buy your own booze while at the residence, and usually have to cook for yourself unless you go out, obviously. You'll need transportation (car rental, cabs, etc.) Best of all, privacy. Most places have private pools/spas and decks and whatnot. It's also nice to do laundry too but you'll be making your own bed and making your own breakfast in most cases, although some places come with a housekeeper and cook if you so choose.

2. all inclusive.. I can only speak for myself, but when we vacation this way we rarely leave the resort. Beds are made, drink glasses in the room are replaced, fridge is constantly stocked, 95% food is included, 95% of drinks are included, they give you fresh towels when you ask, a $10 tip to the bartender/waitresses go a long way. We'll schedule a day to go out and site-see or explore the local fare, but otherwise we stay put. Find an adults only resort. It makes a difference.

3. cruise ship.. a little relaxation and you get to have a few excursions while in port. It's a good mix of relaxation and activities and you can make it what you want.

It just depends on the kind of trip you're looking for. Cost for us has been comparable in most cases. Obviously there are exceptions.

[edit] I've only been to the Bahamas on a cruise. I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there to be honest. Atlantis is nice but as mentioned, expensive. I could think of 20 other places I'd rather go for the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
        Barcelona is cool , but I prefer Mallorca...
        Cool. Haven't been, but Spain was so comparatively inexpensive to all of the other countries/islands throughout the Mediterranean that I'm sure we'll get there sometime. Any recommendations from your experience?

We hit as much as we could along the Costa Dorado (Tarragona all the way up to Montserrat and over to Girona), but Mallorca seemed a little remote with our time constraints and I assume the best way there is by another regional jet. I thoroughly liked Corsica and Sardinia, though, so despite being out there on their own in the middle of the sea, there was plenty to do (plus WRC Rally).

What do you think Mallorca has to offer that mainland Spain doesn't?
        2007 997 Targa 4S - Guards Red
        2006 Subaru STI - WRBlue
        2008 VW R32 - Candy White

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
          VRBO is the shit

1. VBRO.. usually a little more "work". You typically have to go food shopping and you'll have to buy your own booze while at the residence, and usually have to cook for yourself unless you go out, obviously. You'll need transportation (car rental, cabs, etc.) Best of all, privacy. Most places have private pools/spas and decks and whatnot. It's also nice to do laundry too but you'll be making your own bed and making your own breakfast in most cases, although some places come with a housekeeper and cook if you so choose.

2. all inclusive.. I can only speak for myself, but when we vacation this way we rarely leave the resort. Beds are made, drink glasses in the room are replaced, fridge is constantly stocked, 95% food is included, 95% of drinks are included, they give you fresh towels when you ask, a $10 tip to the bartender/waitresses go a long way. We'll schedule a day to go out and site-see or explore the local fare, but otherwise we stay put. Find an adults only resort. It makes a difference.

3. cruise ship.. a little relaxation and you get to have a few excursions while in port. It's a good mix of relaxation and activities and you can make it what you want.

It just depends on the kind of trip you're looking for. Cost for us has been comparable in most cases. Obviously there are exceptions.

[edit] I've only been to the Bahamas on a cruise. I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there to be honest. Atlantis is nice but as mentioned, expensive. I could think of 20 other places I'd rather go for the cost.
          Can't stress this enough if you go all-inclusive.
          2007 997 Targa 4S - Guards Red
          2006 Subaru STI - WRBlue
          2008 VW R32 - Candy White

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
            VRBO is the shit

I have not done "VBRO" but have stayed at family vacation homes, which is very similar as far as having to get groceries and such. That doesn't bother me much, and even on normal vacations we usually bring drinks and snack foods / breakfasts.

I think you are spot on for the other two. I have been on 3 cruises and have done the all inclusive twice and enjoyed them both. I will say that I am more likely to choose an all inclusive than a cruise these days, just because IMO it usually works out cheaper in the long run (for me anyhow).

I love Playa. We don't usually spend the whole time at the resort though. Usually will do a little walking around, and a couple of excursions.

Comment

Originally posted by DasVWBabe View Post
              Cool. Haven't been, but Spain was so comparatively inexpensive to all of the other countries/islands throughout the Mediterranean that I'm sure we'll get there sometime. Any recommendations from your experience?

We hit as much as we could along the Costa Dorado (Tarragona all the way up to Montserrat and over to Girona), but Mallorca seemed a little remote with our time constraints and I assume the best way there is by another regional jet. I thoroughly liked Corsica and Sardinia, though, so despite being out there on their own in the middle of the sea, there was plenty to do (plus WRC Rally).

What do you think Mallorca has to offer that mainland Spain doesn't?
              Mallorca has some of the best beaches in spain. You have to take a flight there to Palma. The king of spain and michael douglas both live on the island. I cant recommend a hotel because I have family that I stay with that live there.
              07 GT500
              05 SRT10
              88 turbocoupe T-bird
              93 Cobra
              86 coupe
              Ducati 848

Comment

Working...
              X