Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dashcam Video Shows Uniformed Officer Standing by as Off-Duty Officer Begs for Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam Video Shows Uniformed Officer Standing by as Off-Duty Officer Begs for Help

A Florida police officer is under fire for failing to help dying car crash victims — and it was all caught on tape by a dashboard camera.

Off-duty Miami Police Sergeant Javier Ortiz came upon the car crash scene that ended up killing two University of Miami graduate students, Ying Chen and Hao Liu, according to WFOR-TV.

With medical equipment in his car, Ortiz jumped into action to try and help the victims.

“I immediately started CPR on the female. It was just me. I had no one to work on the male and I was waiting for help to arrive,” Ortiz told WFOR.

Authorities did arrive but it was the help part that was still missing.

Pinecrest Officer Ana Carrasco arrived on the scene shortly afterward. According to WFOR, Ortiz directed her to work on trying to resuscitate the man.

“I got no response. She just stood there,” told the news station.
    An off-duty officer tries to help the victims while an on-duty Pinecrest officer didn't step in to help the injured people. (Image source: YouTube)

An off-duty officer tries to help the victims while an on-duty Pinecrest officer didn’t step in to help the injured people. (Image source: YouTube)

Dashcam footage shows Carrasco not moving in to help as well. She does wave some by standards back but for the most part was not seen within the dashcam’s field of view helping in any way.

Watch WFOR-TV’s report (Content warning: some images might be considered disturbing):

“I said it again and again and again,” Ortiz said. “There were people, civilians, yelling at her to please do something and she did absolutely nothing.”

The Miami Herald noted that she did get a pair of gloves from her cruiser and gave them to Ortiz, who hte newspaper described as “the oft-controversial police union chief.”

The police department launched an investigation, taking witness reports and an account from Carrasco. WFOR obtained the 32-page report and a recording Carrasco sharing why she didn’t take action:

A recording of Carrasco’s statement says, “I actually made a visual assesment on the male facing down. I didn’t see him breathing I didn’t see his lungs or chest expanding or any signs of life.”

Later she said, “Based on my training, education, experience I was concerned flipping the male victim over. I was concerned it could cause cervical or spinal injury and maybe kill him. I don’t know if he’s dead or not. I run back to my car to see if I have more gloves to see if I can search for any vital signs at that time rescue arrived.”

Here’s a bit more of the dashcam footage (Content warning: some images might be considered disturbing):

The punishment recommended in the report was a week suspension without pay, which has Ortiz fuming over what he considers a “lenient” punishment.

“She has no business wearing a badge and a gun,” Ortiz told WFOR. “Somebody that wears a badge and gun takes an oath, and part of that oath on or off duty is to save lives and she didn’t do it.”

Pinecrest Police Chief Samuel Ceballos told WFOR in a statement that he could override the punishment recommendation, but the news station noted that any disciplinary action will need to be approved by the Pinecrest village manager.

The Miami Herald reported that Carrasco has been off-duty since late January.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Not their job. LE arrive at these scenes for traffic and crowd control. If her attention is focused on CPR/resuscitation, her situational awareness is gone. And, officers have limited PPE for this type of stuff...why should she risk HIV, hepatitis, etc for a man that appeared to be dead already? Out of hospital traumatic arrest survival rate is very very low.
    Now I am not saying I would not have tried, but you cannot rake this officer across the coals for this. It does look bad when presented as above, however.

Comment

It could go either way. All I know is if I ever see a wreck or someone who needs help. I'll help to the best of my ability. If that means CPR so be it.
      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        It could go either way. All I know is if I ever see a wreck or someone who needs help. I'll help to the best of my ability. If that means CPR so be it.
        And if you gets HIV from blood exposure and give it to your wife before you get diagnosed...will it have been worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

You sound exactly like me 10 years ago. One of the most hotly contested topics inside the EMS community is the Duty to Act. Specifically, the obligation (ethically or otherwise) of an off duty/out of jurisdiction EMT/Paramedic to render aid. The short answer being, no. You're not under any mandate to do so when not being compensated or seeking remuneration for your services. It's simply not a requirement. Young guys/gals right out of school typically have the "ricky rescue" mentality. And that is all well and good, but also has its pitfalls. Another false assumption is thinking you will be protected from liability under the Good Samaritan law. Also, people watch too much TV. They see that red patch and think you're going to bust out full ALS gear out your trunk and run a code on someone. Not to mention what people's expectations would be if it were MVA - with real mass casualties. It's ridiculous.

Your moral paradigm will change with age and experience in the field. Change out of your uniform before you drive home. Remove that red sticker, that you were once so proud of, from your windshield. Do your job on the clock. When you punch out, go about your business. If you see a accident, report it. Call it a day. Think twice about jumping out and holding c spine or whatever else. The reality will be different than the scenario you play out inside your head. And this isn't even broaching on the more paramount issue of scene safety.
          Last edited by LS1Goat; 02-08-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Dr Dave has a good point - limited personal protective equipment. That said, she admits she got gloves from her car and gave them to the off-duty officer. Also, remember that cops aren't medics - most want nothing to do with anything medical.

I'm just an EMT but if I have PPE I'm going to jump in. Did CPR/AED on a guy last night and we got him back. If I stood there and did nothing, there's no way I'd be able to look his family in the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
              The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

You sound exactly like me 10 years ago. One of the most hotly contested topics inside the EMS community is the Duty to Act. Specifically, the obligation (ethically or otherwise) of an off duty/out of jurisdiction EMT/Paramedic to render aid. The short answer being, no. You're not under any mandate to do so when not being compensated or seeking remuneration for your services. It's simply not a requirement. Young guys/gals right out of school typically have the "ricky rescue" mentality. And that is all well and good, but also has its pitfalls. Another false assumption is thinking you will be protected from liability under the Good Samaritan law. Also, people watch too much TV. They see that red patch and think you're going to bust out full ALS gear out your trunk and run a code on someone. Not to mention what people's expectations would be if it were MVA - with real mass casualties. It's ridiculous.

Your moral paradigm will change with age and experience in the field. Change out of your uniform before you drive home. Remove that red sticker, that you were once so proud of, from your windshield. Do your job on the clock. When you punch out, go about your business. If you see a accident, report it. Call it a day. Think twice about jumping out and holding c spine or whatever else. The reality will be different than the scenario you play out inside your head. And this isn't even broaching on the more paramount issue of scene safety.
              That is spot on and could not have said it better.

When I first started, I admit, I had a full jump bag in the truck ready to go.
              As the years went by and the experience built, I did not have shit in my truck. No stickers, nothing to even identify I was anything medical. I never drove anywhere in a vehicle in my uniform....ever. If I ever did help anyone off duty, it was very basic until the "uniformed" showed up and I went on my way without ever saying anything about having medical training.

People would be amazed at how little the "Good Samaritan" law actually covers. If you think you are immune to blow back if shit goes bad.....You might want to think again. And especially in this day and age of lawyers just waiting for someone to screw up, and also the public looking for a pay day.

I have worked with plenty of LEOs that actually ARE medically trained, and not once have I seen them go full blown Ricky Rescue, no matter the situation. Basic intervention until the Medics arrive. Maybe try to stop some serious bleeding, or maybe even hold C-Spine. Other than that....

And again, the scene safety and PERSONAL safety. Straight up, I am the most important person when I help someone either on or off the job. If I dont have the tools and equipment to protect myself, well, sorry but I am going home tonight without being covered in blood, piss, shit and ass and also not having to worry about what the hell diseases I just exposed myself and my family to.

Also, with traumatic events, and with multiple patients, general rule is save who you can. You have two people with no breathing, and no pulse, you check airway, adjust, and check pulse. If you get nothing on either even after adjusting airway, move on and check the next, rinse and repeat. It is called TRIAGE.

Things may be a little different if you show up and one or both are breathing and with a pulse and then suddenly arrest..... Hard to justify just standing there and downgrading from a red to black.

Comment

Some people just like to watch the world burn. Maybe she was one of them.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Pretty messed up.

No one else saw that she cleared "by standards"? Where the fuck do these people go to school?
                  Last edited by Chas_svo; 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM.
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                    Pretty messed up.

No one else saw that she cleared "by standards"? Where the fuck do the people go to school?
                    I saw it. The post was hard enough to read.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                      Pretty messed up.

No one else saw that she cleared "by standards"? Where the fuck do these people go to school?
                      Police school, not EMS school?
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I don't carry anything in my car other than a small basic first aid kit and CPR mask and gloves. It's just the type of person I am right now. If I think I can help I will. Hopefully that doesn't get worn down by work.
                        Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                        It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Our protocols are no resuscitation efforts on trauma codes if we arrival with no vitals. Trauma codes are a rare survival... From an outsiders perspective with no training I understand the point of view. Without details of actual PT conditions, no judgment can be made. Dr. Dave has it right from the get go.

Comment

I don't know what they teach in Florida but, until a couple years ago we had about a day of basic first aid including CPR and that was all. I learned more in my combat lifesaver course in the Army and then last year I attended our (FWPD for those who don't know me) lifesaver class(8 hours) which still was nothing more than a basic first aid with an supply kit thrown in with dressings, a tourniquet and sucking chest wound/clotting material.

I think the only thing she didn't do that she maybe should have was physically check for a pulse. At the very least it would have looked better. (I didn't watch the video so maybe she did) Instead of standing around she should be checking\directing traffic so some idiot doesn't come crash the scene.

Anyway, my personal opinion. If there is something can do and are comfortable doing it, if the scene is secure enough, then do it. Do what you know how to do. I have dressed wounds before since I know how and I am comfortable with it. I might even dig around in you to find that spurting artery but, I won't be doing mouth to mouth. I don't wave at by standards neither.

My latex gloves get used mostly for fingerprinting and field testing drugs. Just an fyi.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                            George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                            X