TT&L on out of state car purchase....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    Well, if it makes you feel better, keep in mind you'd only be saving the difference between their tax and ours.
    $500 is a lot of $ when you only make $16k/yr. His insurance is going to hurt him though....

The car is going to stay in WA with his son. So driving the car all the way here, then back, would more than eat up any savings.
    No shit, that ain't happening...

Thanks.

Comment

For those of you that may not know, when you are in the military you can keep your DL and Car registration with your home of record, and do not have to change it to the state you are stationed in. That is what he is trying to accomplish.

Comment

If he was going to do that, he'd be better off going to OR. Much closer and no sales tax either. Oh, and he said tax is 10% in his original post.
        Damn sure did. Montana is the go to for Californians that are tired of getting fucked financially but love the nice weather.

I had work done on my Dodge at a dealership and they had a mailboxes, etc. type situation in the dealership where Cali residents maintained their MT residency. They would fly in once a year, dealer would pick them up, they'd renew tags, DL's, whatever they needed to, then fly out.

Comment

For those of you that may not know, when you are in the military you can keep your DL and Car registration with your home of record, and do not have to change it to the state you are stationed in. That is what he is trying to accomplish.
          NO, DON'T TELL THEM THAT!!!! They'll think I've got some integrity!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            $500 is a lot of $ when you only make $16k/yr. His insurance is going to hurt him though....
            You don't have to tell me that. I remember how tough it was to afford a car while living on post as an E2. And back then I was only bringing home like $800 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              NO, DON'T TELL THEM THAT!!!! They'll think I've got some integrity!!11
              Nah, we know the truth.

Comment

I bought a truck in July in the state of oregon, which has no sales tax. When I moved here to VA and registered my truck, they felt it necessary and within their rights to collect the sales tax on the purchase, even though i was not a resident of the state at the time.

I had to pay 1750 in taxes to the state of virginia, for something they had no business being involved in. So read up.. or get fucked. They're after all our monies.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                  I bought a truck in July in the state of oregon, which has no sales tax. When I moved here to VA and registered my truck, they felt it necessary and within their rights to collect the sales tax on the purchase, even though i was not a resident of the state at the time.

I had to pay 1750 in taxes to the state of virginia, for something they had no business being involved in. So read up.. or get fucked. They're after all our monies.
                  Similar issue with my dads car, but he had to pay tax on it 3-4 times and the car was purchased in 1999. Paying tax on a vehicle you've owned for 10 years, just because you move to a different state/country is bullshit!!
                  Last edited by VaderTT; 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM.
                  Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

Or set a good example of integrity for your son, stay completely legal, and pay the appropriate sales tax.

Aaron, are you going for some sort of model citizen award you think exists?

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                      Similar issue with my dads car, but he had to pay tax on it 3-4 times and the car was purchased in 1999. Paying tax on a vehicle you've owned for 10 years, just because you move to a different state/country is bullshit!!
                      They tried to do that with a car I had leased in Texas when I moved to Chicago. Went to register it, they wanted three grand for sales tax. I told them to eat a dick, that it was leased, and the taxes were rolled into the payments. She asked her supervisor how she would go about dealing with it, he just said that it was really a big hassle and to just give me my plates for just the registration fee. LOL.

Comment

About a year after getting out of the Army I moved back to CA and when I got there, in addition to the normal registration fees / taxes, I also had to pay something they called a "smog impact fee". It was an additional $50 or $100 for bringing a car without "CA Emissions" into the state. They later determined that the charge went against some other law and refunded everyone that paid one.

The thing about registering cars in CA, is the fee is not a flat fee like it is here in TX. It varies depending on the "value" of the car. So if you have a nicer care, your annual registration could be several hundred dollars. At least that is how it used to be.

Comment

I havent figured out why you would pay sales tax on a used car from person to person. It doesnt make any sense to me.

They tried to hit me with sales taxes when I paid off my brother's truck after he passed. I told them to eat a dick, we kept updating the registration that came in the mail. I got a manager pinned down at the tax office long enough to listen and she did the transfer under the gift tax.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Aaron, are you going for some sort of model citizen award you think exists?
                            I just explained that I was not so legally driving a vehicle registered in another state for over two years, hardly exemplary behavior.

I'm just a non-parent giving a parent shit for something I know nothing about, it's the DFWM way.

Comment

Working...
                            X