TX License and Registering a School Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX License and Registering a School Bus

So I've been looking around at possibly getting a school bus on the cheap then cutting up the back half off to load the toys (I want to be able to fit 2 Polaris RZR's) on it and building some beds, maybe a shitter and a sink or shower in the front half. Something I can easily pack and go camping in or nascar or rednecks with paychecks kind of thing... (I would not keep it yellow)

The idea is something like...

Anyway... my question is more about how it's registered. I was reading about some people in other states get them titled as RV's and you can bypass a lot of the DOT BS and what kind of driving license would I need? Maybe can get away with out a CDL since its under 26,000lbs?
    I build websites. PM me.

I can look into it tomorrow for you. I work for Dallas County Schools, and have about 1700 buses running daily. I recently drove through our graveyard, which gets cleaned out once a year. Not sure where they go to get sold.

Comment

you'll need to register it as an RV
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
        I can look into it tomorrow for you. I work for Dallas County Schools, and have about 1700 buses running daily. I recently drove through our graveyard, which gets cleaned out once a year. Not sure where they go to get sold.
        They do an auction every year for them on the kleberg lot.

Comment

Air brakes = CDL

Comment

My buddy had hell with his short bus and tickets from the city. Good luck, he sold his off due to the issues.

Comment

I'm looking for one of those swing-away stop sign mechanisms from a school bus. Anyone got one?
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

My friend posted this on Facebook today

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                  My friend posted this on Facebook today

Yep - that's pretty bad ass and pretty much my exact intent as well.
                  I build websites. PM me.

Comment

You can get some pretty inaccurate information here in a hurry. You can get a class A or Class B noncommercial license. You are required to have one or the other depending on weights and a few other things. This is an RV requirement in Texas for certain weights and towing combinations even though a lot of people do not follow it.
                    903-870-8109

Thank you:
                    2JM Diesel & Fabrication - for the chassis and tuning
                    Freak Show Performance - for the great transmission
                    Jimmy Patton for the pit help
                    Chris Fowler for the motor work
                    TRZ Motorsports - thanks Mike
                    NRC Motorsports - thanks Bob
                    Team Z Motorsports - thanks Dave
                    Forced Inductions - thanks Jose
                    Work Turbochargers - thanks Reed

Comment

Originally posted by bigminz View Post
                      You can get some pretty inaccurate information here in a hurry. You can get a class A or Class B noncommercial license. You are required to have one or the other depending on weights and a few other things. This is an RV requirement in Texas for certain weights and towing combinations even though a lot of people do not follow it.
                      Great info. I hadn't nailed down the RV registration part but I had figured i'd need a class A or B license. Thanks for the info!

I've been searching but does anyone know what modifications are needed to make a school bus legal to personally own? I've read you have to paint them a different color, remove some lights, and/or the stop sign on the side.
                      I build websites. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon View Post
                        Great info. I hadn't nailed down the RV registration part but I had figured i'd need a class A or B license. Thanks for the info!

I've been searching but does anyone know what modifications are needed to make a school bus legal to personally own? I've read you have to paint them a different color, remove some lights, and/or the stop sign on the side.
                        Can not be national school bus yellow, school bus signs have to be gone and you must disable the loading flashers and any loading signs. (Doesn't mean you have to take the lights off. Just can't work with the door and stuff.).

Up until this year I was a school transportation director so I sold a lot of buses.
                        903-870-8109

Thank you:
                        2JM Diesel & Fabrication - for the chassis and tuning
                        Freak Show Performance - for the great transmission
                        Jimmy Patton for the pit help
                        Chris Fowler for the motor work
                        TRZ Motorsports - thanks Mike
                        NRC Motorsports - thanks Bob
                        Team Z Motorsports - thanks Dave
                        Forced Inductions - thanks Jose
                        Work Turbochargers - thanks Reed

Comment

What kind of money does a bus in good condition normally sell for?

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            I'm looking for one of those swing-away stop sign mechanisms from a school bus. Anyone got one?
                            I haven't got one, but I can get you a new one. Want me to check on how much they run for you?

Comment

Having trouble finding a page? Check our site map to find what you are looking for!
                              Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Working...
                              X