quick GoPro question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick GoPro question...

I got a Go Pro 3 for Christmas and just now getting around to using it in a few weeks on a ski trip.

I'm trying to find out how many minutes I can expect from a 32 Gb SD card or if I should just spring for a 64Gb.

also, for recordings involving movement, is it better to have it mounted on my helmet or use a chest strap?

And yes, as as it may be to wear a helmet, I'm not looking to bust my head open on a tree/rock.

I am a firm believer in POV movies.

Comment

whatever you do, get a good sd card like the ones listed on their site. I bought a plain jane 32gb scandisk and the camera had problems. The battery on the camera will die before you run out of 32gb.
      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
        whatever you do, get a good sd card like the ones listed on their site. I bought a plain jane 32gb scandisk and the camera had problems. The battery on the camera will die before you run out of 32gb.
        Hyphen have to use a class 10.

Fry has them pretty reasonable.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

A 32gb card will hold more than what your battery (and spare) will record. Plus, you're better off with two 32s than one 64. If one card dies or gets lost, you might still go home with some footage.

A chest mount produces less shaky video than a helmet mount. It covers more of where you're going than where your head is facing. However, if you're a snowboarder look into the vented helmet mount and strap that onto your boot.

Also, don't limit all your footage to just one mount. Use a different mount each run then do some movie making when you get home.
          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

^^ you will run out of power before you run out of space.

Comment

thanks for all the info...I think I'll order a 32Gb for now from their site and probably an extra battery and definitely some different mounts. Mine came with one battery, a curved and flat mount, and a few different adjustment pieces.

Comment

If its more than about 30 for the card they are way high.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Expect about 45 mins of recording from a single battery. Expect less if you have the LCD back displaying what the camera is seeing. Even less if you have the wifi turned on. And less if you leave the camera on while you're not recording.

An extra battery (or two) is good to have if you'll be out on the slopes all day. A portable USB charger (usually sold for cell phones) will be good for topping off when you break for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                    Expect about 45 mins of recording from a single battery. Expect less if you have the LCD back displaying what the camera is seeing. Even less if you have the wifi turned on. And less if you leave the camera on while you're not recording.

An extra battery (or two) is good to have if you'll be out on the slopes all day. A portable USB charger (usually sold for cell phones) will be good for topping off when you break for lunch.
                    45 minutes?? I get around an hour and a half.
                    2012 GT500

Comment

That was probably when mine was new. From what I've read Li-po batteries need to cycle a few times to deliver peak performance.

If you haven't seen this..... Read it. Bookmark it.

Looking for a guide for a different GoPro? Check out all of my complete guides here: HERO8 Black HERO7 Black HERO6 Black HERO5 Black HERO4 Black HERO4 Session HERO3+ Black HERO3 Black Updated May 1…

Comment

Does it matter if the camera is mounted upside down?? Normally I'd just turn it on and try it but I haven't received my SD card yet, ordered it from GoPro...anyway, I'm getting familiar with the mount positions. If I decide to do a self angle on my helmet, it puts the camera upside down.

Comment

No problem at all. But you might need to get a video editor to rotate your movie 180* so you can watch it on a computer/TV. Some playback apps will recognize the video is upside down and rotate it for you.

PS, get two 32GB SDHCs. There was actually a bad issue with 64GB SanDisk SDXC memory cards and GoPros, with both companies pointing fingers at each other. Here's one of several threads, google for more info:

I would be willing to bet that it's all sorted out now, but I wouldn't want to be filming my vacation and find out I'm wrong.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

There should be a mode where you can "flip" the camera upside down. I think it's in the manual how to activate it.

Comment

The GoPro camera has a 'flip' setting so you don't have to flip it with some tool later.

Comment

Working...
                              X