No announcement yet.

Jury Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been called twice and excused both times before the jury was picked. Being crazy is a disqualifier
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Called in twice. Was picked once. Sat on the jury for a week

Father molested 3 of his daughter while they were somewhere between 6-12 or so. Several years about. The last one finally spoke up because there was the last daughter turning 6

Needless to say he is going to be fed 3 meals a day for the rest of his life
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I have been two times and picked for both. I don't understand why so many people avoid it. I kind of enjoy doing something different than just going to work. One could even learn something from the new experience.

The first case was at the main courthouse in downtown FW. It was a lady that was sewing over being hurt in a car wreck. The vehicle that hit her car was a company pickup with a glass carrier on the back. The small dent in her door as a result broke her seat and hurt her back and neck. I think the 400 lbs of fat previously broke her chair. She says she could not work her post office job because of it. This lady was looking for $$ only. Sad thing is there were people on the jury that believed her. We finally convinced them that she was full of shit.

Cn

Comment

if you dont want to get picked and are anywhere near the front row's then you better talk a lot when they ask questions. one side or the other is going to dislike you.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
            And after sitting there all damn day listening to both sides grill the jury to narrow down their selections, we break so the attorneys can make their strikes and select the jury. Come back to session at 4:00 and get told they struck an agreement and we wouldn't be needed!

To me, if you decline plea bargains and decide to go to trial, you should not be allowed to waste then make an agreement and waste the time of the people that showed up at your request.
            I get that the jury pool may not be ideal to one side or the other, but the defendant decided to have a jury trial taking the chance that the jury may not, on the outside, appear to be in their favor.

Rant off...
            i worked in a district court for a short time and the judge in there would not allow a plea once the jury was brought in for selection. i remember telling a guy one time that was offered 5 years from the state that he needed to take the deal and he didn't want to. he got 30 years from a jury... my favorite thing to hear from inmates was that they only had "one" felony so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Comment

I havent been called in a couple years, for a while I got called every 2 years.

First case was as an alternate for a trial of a black guy, that was suspected of shoplifting, running away from police at golden triangle mall. I was dismissed with the other alternates.

Second case was an off duty police officer, that had a tad bit too much to drink at fellow police officer house, and when leaving he swung wide and struck another vehicle. The lewisville police were investigating another incident and heard the accident. Felt bad charging the guy with DWI because being a cop was his life, and the the DWI cost him the job. The lewisville cop was a prick on stand and I was real close to not believing him

Comment

Ive been picked about 3 times and they were all during deployments. I'm dying to go, to be honest.
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Start everything off with "According to the prophecy..." and they might let you go

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    I've been called twice and excused both times before the jury was picked. Being crazy is a disqualifier
                    You should take greater precautions to hide crazy and you will get picked; that is how I do it.

I have been on quite a few juries and will not return a conviction if I believe the law is BS.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Wish I could get on a jury. But it'll never happen in denton county.

Comment

Originally posted by CyaNide View Post
                        We finally convinced them that she was full of shit.
                        Anyone trying to screw a company out of money had better pray they don't get me on the jury, I would do everything in my power to convince the jury to give them nothing. I'm the last person a lawyer wants in that box when they put a bunch of BS witnesses on the stand just to get sympathy whether that be for more money or less time.

Comment

If you do get picked, just remember, you can say not guilty if you believe the charge to the crime was unjust, immoral or unconstitutional regardless of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                            If you do get picked, just remember, you can say not guilty if you believe the charge to the crime was unjust, immoral or unconstitutional regardless of evidence.

I agree and don't just go with the majority to get out of going back the next day.

You are there to do a service. And you would expect a group of your peers to make a decision based on the evidence, not their own personal schedule to be back at work the next day
                            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Working...
                            X