Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they call him the Bandit...

the "what is your favorite movie scene" post reminded me of this

I was up in Dallas because my father in law is in the hospital. It's not looking good. The wife has been up there for a couple weeks.

Anyhow, he's in hospice and I've been summoned to bring Coca-Cola and Bandit (our Australian Shepherd), so I round up the dog and stop at a gas station on the way to Baylor hospital. They have Mexican coke, so I figure this shit is made from actual sugar and comes in old school bottles... this might be more soothing for the old guy and might take him back to better/simpler times

while we're there, there's a knock at the door... a young black man in his 30's is there, and he's a member of some church making rounds and saying hello and offering prayer, etc. I was a bit perturbed as I'm not overly religious, but he was very nice and had a thick Nigerian accent. I have very good friends who are Nigerian, so I tend to be a little more at ease when I hear one. He was being cordial and making small talk with the in-laws and he ended up asking about the dog. They told him the dog's name was Bandit.

He had to ask/clarify a few times and then said "Bandit... you mean like..." and his hands raised to pantomime... I thought he was going to pantomime a scarf over his eyes, but he reached up and mimicked a steering wheel and finished with "the movie?"

We clarified that he was referring to Smokey and the Bandit, and told him that that was EXACTLY where my little boy's name came from.

Good times.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Sorry about your father in law

Comment

"I guess a living legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, huh daddy?"
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

that old Marine his actually hanging in! LOL

He's actually out of hospice as of this morning. The docs wrote him off, but he decided to stick around for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          "I guess a living legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, huh daddy?"
          such a great movie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            such a great movie
            glad to hear he's doing better. I'm off this weekend, if you need anything while in town, let me know.

Comment

appreciate the offer, brother

Comment

Gimmie a Diablo sandwich and Dr Pepper and make fast, I'm in a goddamn hurry!

Comment

I've loved that movie since the first time I saw it when I was about 6-7yrs old.

I had originally named our dog "Banjo". That lasted all of one day and my wife and I realized that it just didn't seem right.

She suggested "Bandit" and said "like Smokey & the Bandit"

I fell in love all over again! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                    Gimmie a Diablo sandwich and Dr Pepper and make fast, I'm in a goddamn hurry!
                    This.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Good to hear the FNL is doing better. Like you I have loved that movie since I was a kid!

"There's no way, no way that you could come from my loins. As soon as I get home the first thing I'm gonna do is punch your momma in the mouth."
                      Last edited by bobs94formula; 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM.
                      92 LX 5.0

Comment

"Loins" may fit a little better...

Love that movie

Comment

We had two cats growing up that were named Smokey and Bandit.

Comment

favorite movie of all time, cool story
                            --Marcus

Comment

Working...
                            X