Kegerator need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator need some help

Bought my friend a kegerator for his BD. Got it off craigslist and I bought it knowing there were problems with the CO2 regulator. I figured no big deal its just a regular ass regulator, and a tank.

Anyways my Dad got a hold of a big 20lb co2 tank, and I was going to use it to fill the smaller 5lb tanks that you stick in the fridge. That way youll hardly ever need to go buy co2. Im sure someone here knows where to get a hose, or build a hose that will connect these two things. Both tanks have the same nipple.

A 5lb tank will last you a lot longer than you think.

Comment

You will be wasting some every time. You have to have greater tank pressure in the 20lbs to get it to go into the 5lbs.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
        A 5lb tank will last you a lot longer than you think.
        Mine leaked and it still has gone through 4 kegs with plenty of pressure. You could make the pressure different by heating and freezing the bottles but it's not really safe.

It's not really a good idea. C02 is cheap and readily available. Anywhere they fills paintball guns can fill it, or many places that sell kegs. It was $5 to fill mine at Two Bucks and really they probably would fill it for free with a keg exchange if I asked.

Comment

Well airgas charges $21.95 for food grade, which im guessing the $5 bucks wasn't. Not sure what the difference is either...

Comment

You need a co2 tank with a dip tube to fill other co2 tanks. Other wise you are just getting the gas and not the co2 liquid that you want in your tank. If you invert the tank the you could do it but holding it is heavy. And you need 80psi minimum or you will end up with dry ice in the bottle you are filling from. Will take a while to thaw.
            Rich

Comment

Idk where you get your kegs, but Keg & Barrels in Plano will exchange an empty 5lb for around $15.

I dont own a kegerator yet (slowly piecing a keezer together) but I am going to stick with 5lb bottles when it all comes together for simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasT View Post
                You need a co2 tank with a dip tube to fill other co2 tanks. Other wise you are just getting the gas and not the co2 liquid that you want in your tank. If you invert the tank the you could do it but holding it is heavy. And you need 80psi minimum or you will end up with dry ice in the bottle you are filling from. Will take a while to thaw.
                Good point on the flipping tank, the bigger tank I have has a collar around the top so It won't be too bad.

Comment

I want to say Kool Keg refills CO2 tanks for free with keg purchases. As far as parts, you might check out KegWorks.

Comment

It's $12 to exchange empty for full, not worth fucking with IMO (Choice Beverage, McKinney)

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      It's $12 to exchange empty for full, not worth fucking with IMO
                      Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                      X