Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do schools close a lot quicker for inclimate weather now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do schools close a lot quicker for inclimate weather now?

So as most of you know, I live in Austin. Well, it's sleeting here right now and just saw an announcement on TV that all AISD schools will be closed tomorrow. I remember growing up, and even through High School, I'd wake up at like 6am and just prey for a closing and would at best maybe get a postponed opening. I went to Chicken Express at 8:30pm when it had been sleeting lightly for maybe an hour, didn't slide once, and when I got there they were "closing early due to weather."

I can only imagine how bad it would be here if we actually got some snow.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Inclement.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

They barely have sand trucks in the metroplex. Imagine the level of preparedness Austin maintains. Better to close everything, and eliminate liability.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Inclement.
        Haha. I saw the squiggly line and tried a couple of different things, but was too lazy to google it.

I uh mean...damn autocorrect.

Comment

Man Springtown schools would never close back when I was in school.
          "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Also "pray"
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

goddammit...

Comment

I was thinking the same thing after the ice storm when schools were closed half, if not the whole week after.

I don't remember school ever closing when we were still there.
                07 f250-family truckster
                08 Denali -baby hauler
                52 f1-rust bucket
                05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                livin the double-wide dream

Comment

All the Houston ones are closed and it is no where near cold enough to even freeze the bridges.... I just drove to work with it heavy sleeting and the bridges were clear as could be.
                  "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

shit, our shuttle is stuck on the side of the road south of waco, supposed to be in New Braunfels around 6.

North Texas gets more sleet/ice/snow than central and south texas does, so they REALLY freak out when a snowflake falls.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Up here they got a 5 day weekend, and then 2, 2 hour delay days.

it's 9* this morning and we had snow a few days ago. I think because a bus wrecked a few years ago on icy roads, the ISD here is kind of gun shy.

oddly enough, even when the ISD shuts down my company sends out an email basically stating "we hire people to scrape the parking lot, it'll be waiting for you to get here.". bastards.

Comment

It used to be a pain to get babysitters and stuff at a moments notice that's why they went to announcing it day before by evening news unless it was an emergency situation.

Comment

Jr and I are fixing to head south to H town. my folks (typical old white people) all worried and such.

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            shit, our shuttle is stuck on the side of the road south of waco, supposed to be in New Braunfels around 6.

North Texas gets more sleet/ice/snow than central and south texas does, so they REALLY freak out when a snowflake falls.
                            I drove in from Temple to Waco and the roads completely sucked in Temple/Belton/Killeen. The only place I saw sand was in McGregor and that's probably because SpaceX paid for it. My wife made it partly to Fort Hood before they officially closed it down. It has to be pretty bad when the Army closes down an entire base.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                              All the Houston ones are closed and it is no where near cold enough to even freeze the bridges.... I just drove to work with it heavy sleeting and the bridges were clear as could be.
                              I drove back home from DFW last night and all I kept hearing about was a winter weather advisory, be careful on bridges and overpasses, and that the evening commute was going to be horrible...

Everybody was driving 5-10 below the limit, especially once I got into the Huntsville area.

I just kept looking at the thermometer reading 35-38* and thinking "do all you mother fuckers really not know the temperature where water freezes?"
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X