House breaking a puppy ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
    i have learned that to make.sure to clean pee up so they can't smell it again and go pee in that spot again. Pups can't hold bowl or pee, especially after eating and drinking water.
    hey Chili ya have any parks or walking trails you take the dog to.
    I used to take them to the dog park pretty regularly:

Villages of Bear Creek Park
    1951 Bear Creek Parkway
    Euless, TX 76039

But I have slacked off lately. I will say that we have a good sized yard (over .25 acre lot) so they have plenty of room to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      I used to take them to the dog park pretty regularly:

Villages of Bear Creek Park
      1951 Bear Creek Parkway
      Euless, TX 76039

But I have slacked off lately. I will say that we have a good sized yard (over .25 acre lot) so they have plenty of room to play.
      Choo$$$ choo$$$
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

One of the things I always did was to use a keyword when going outside. Mine is go potty, it gets them used to going outside to take care of business. I use go outside to see if she just wants to go hang outside. It took a while but she knows the difference now.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
          One of the things I always did was to use a keyword when going outside. Mine is go potty, it gets them used to going outside to take care of business. I use go outside to see if she just wants to go hang outside. It took a while but she knows the difference now.
          Yes on a keyword. I also combine that with a hand signal. I say "pick a spot" and point to the ground and make a circular motion with hand. After a couple of weeks he picked up on it. Like today when it was cold. I was inside the door and he was standing outside watching me. I made the motion and he did his business and then I called him in.

Comment

speaking of pups, i am still trying to.find a chew toy they can not tear up. every toy we get them they tear them up. and blankets. i have been looking at pitbull chew toy, thinking i may try one.

Comment

My roommate got his lab when he was in college and the dog was only in the crate when nobody was home. Other than that, he and his roommates then just left the back door open pretty much all the time. Living with him and the dog now for over 2 years, the dog would probably die before "going" inside. I think their instinct is to go outside so you have to nurture that as much as possible until it's old enough to hold it.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I crated my Ridgebacks at night only for about 3 months. They learned the dog door in 3 day's only issue was them bringing tree limbs back into the house.
                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Accidents will happen.. Sounds like you are doing well so far. 2 main things I will mention:

1. Keep up the kenneling routine. Dogs are den animals and believe it or not, that kennel will become their safe place. Our dogs go into theirs to chill. We just leave the doors open.

2. Except when you catch the dog in the act of shitting or pissing inside, do not punish them for it. Even if in the act, don't smack him or rub his nose in it, just make a startling noise (to hopefully stop him) and immediately take the dog outside.

I must have read 10 different training websites over hours / days, but the main thing is to stick with it!
                  This is true, my mom thought we where being mean to our lab by using a cage. One time when she was over she noticed he wasnt around, Took her into his room and he had put him self in his cage and shut the door. It becomes a safe place.
                  We also have a set of bells on the back door he rings when he needs to go out, Posative reinforcement is the way to go with them, Labs are poeple pleasers. Yjey will do any thing for you to say good boy and a pat on the head.
                  Also get him a toy and when ever he gets to wanting to chew on you or something put it in his mouth, he will learn when the erge hits him to pick up a toy. Labs have LOTS of energy for a few years then they become carpet magnets.

Comment

My little dogs whine, and the Great Dane will come put her paw on you to let you know she needs to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                      speaking of pups, i am still trying to.find a chew toy they can not tear up. every toy we get them they tear them up. and blankets. i have been looking at pitbull chew toy, thinking i may try one.
                      Get Kong toys. They last forever! They're expensive if you get them at Petco or something, but Ross usually carries them and they're only $4-$5.
                      Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                      Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                      Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                      You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Originally posted by Leah View Post
                        Get Kong toys. They last forever! They're expensive if you get them at Petco or something, but Ross usually carries them and they're only $4-$5.
                        This is true. Ours don't really tear up toys anymore but the Yellow was really bad about it the first year or so. She would tear them up immediately. She once got a tennis ball and had the cover off and the ball torn in half in like 30 minutes. The kong is the only toy she didn't destroy.

We're watching Talisman's dog and she tore up 2 in the first night she was over. lol

Comment

I house broke mine by just praising them for when they go outside. They both are super smart and well behaved so it was really easy for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X