Let's discuss the Lone Survivor Movie (situation) scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's discuss the Lone Survivor Movie (situation) scenario

For those that have read the book of just seen the movie like myself, as a non-military person, why would you not kill those guys that stumbled across your location? Or at least bind them to a tree, and then gtfo. I don't understand the 'just let em go' mentality and just hike out like they did.

I understand they had orders, and roughly understand rules of engagement, but that just seemed like they were sealing their own fate doing that, which it did. I mean, you don't know if they are good or bad, you have no communications, you are in unknown territory in their backyard. Thoughts?

They should have smoked those kids.

I've always wondered what would happen if they gagged them and tied them up and left them. The locals would find them before too long, likely after the mission was over, or at least it would buy them several hours.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

They should have just left them tied up. Whoever owned the goats would've come looking for them pretty quick, and they'd be fine.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        They should have just left them tied up. Whoever owned the goats would've come looking for them pretty quick, and they'd be fine.
        Yea, that's the direction I would have gone

Comment

Shoot first, ask questions later
          Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

It's really easy to say that having never been in the situation.
            Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
            It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              True story!

Comment

I thought the movie looked good so I was going to buy the book. Then I found out it was ghost written in its entirety, without even having a final read and approval by the guy who survived. That means about 95% of it is bullshit that the author "imagined" happened. And that is where I lost any interest in it.

There is a lot of horseshit like this out there these days and the public just eats it the hell up. I have a friend who is a democrat that went and saw The Butler in the theater and went on this ridiculous white guilt trip on FB about it, when everything aside from "There was a black Butler that worked in the White House at one point" was completely fictionalized bullshit. It sickens me.

I'll watch LS on Netflix at some point, but I'm not going to give them any money to encourage this type of crap to continue getting made. It's one of the overriding problems with this country these days. The facts don't matter, just decide what you want the gist of the story to be and make up the rest to suit your agenda. The sad thing is that this one comes from the side I am usually on. To me, the entire thing is suspect, so I won't waste my time on "What ifs."

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  Originally posted by 564826 View Post
                  True story!
                  True, but you can still put yourself in that situation and make a call (theoretically)

Comment

kill them and make it home but if found out Americans killed them then what.

Comment

These guys were professionals and they did not kill people that were not enemy combatants. I would not have killed them either. When they were discovered, their mission was compromised and over. They have contingency plans for things like this and they should have been put in place. The screwed up thing is that their communication devices did not work well due to the terrain and by the time they got to an area where they did, they were ambushed. It's easy to second guess their decisions...but they get to make them as they proved that they were true warriors by what they had been through. RIP to those men. The true heroes did not make it home that day.

Comment

I am confused about the ghostwriter comment. Ghostwriters are very common for stories considering most people have no clue how to write their own book. From what I have read the ghostwriter did the writing while Luttrell provided most of the content. Using a ghostwriter doesn't automatically mean it was written, content and all, by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by dmh165638 View Post
                          I am confused about the ghostwriter comment. Ghostwriters are very common for stories considering most people have no clue how to write their own book. From what I have read the ghostwriter did the writing while Luttrell provided most of the content. Using a ghostwriter doesn't automatically mean it was written, content and all, by someone else.
                          Have you ever listened to Luttrell talk? He might be brilliant on the battlefield but he is not a writer.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            These guys were professionals and they did not kill people that were not enemy combatants. I would not have killed them either. When they were discovered, their mission was compromised and over. They have contingency plans for things like this and they should have been put in place. The screwed up thing is that their communication devices did not work well due to the terrain and by the time they got to an area where they did, they were ambushed. It's easy to second guess their decisions...but they get to make them as they proved that they were true warriors by what they had been through. RIP to those men. The true heroes did not make it home that day.
                            x2

I really hate it when assholes armchair quarterback real heroes.

Comment

I can't remember where I saw it but Marcus said he had an issue with that scene in the movie. He stated that it didn't happen like that. He said there was no discussion, they knew they were letting them go and they all agreed. The movie just needed drama
                              Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Working...
                              X