No announcement yet.

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car

We all "know" it's probably happening across the board, but I don't think I ever expected anyone to just outright say it like this.

Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car

Jan. 8, 2014, 8:16 PM

Ford's Global VP/Marketing and Sales, Jim Farley, said something both sinister and obvious during a panel discussion about data privacy today at CES, the big electronics trade show in Las Vegas.

Because of the GPS units installed in Ford vehicles, Ford knows when its drivers are speeding, and where they are while they're doing it.

Farley was trying to describe how much data Ford has on its customers, and illustrate the fact that the company uses very little of it in order to avoid raising privacy concerns: "We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone," he told attendees.

Rather, he said, he imagined a day when the data might be used anonymously and in aggregate to help other marketers with traffic related problems. Suppose a stadium is holding an event; knowing how much traffic is making its way toward the arena might help the venue change its parking lot resources accordingly, he said.

They don't supply it because they haven't found the high bidder yet. Before long, everything will be fully "transparent" and insurance companies will work to be deputized so they can issue tickets/rate increases/cancellations all based on driving style.

Comment

Stop breaking the laws assholes

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        Stop breaking the laws assholes
        Fuck that.

Now that he's said something like that, I bet the NSA is already breathing down their necks.

Comment

I dont have a car new enough to worry about this issue.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Buy F - no government motors!
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
              Fuck that.

Now that he's said something like that, I bet the NSA is already breathing down their necks.
              The NSA doesn't have to breathe down their necks. They can get basically any info they want.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                X2

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                  The NSA doesn't have to breathe down their necks. They can get basically any info they want.
                  When I said breathing down their necks, I meant "turn over your info."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    They don't supply it because they haven't found the high bidder yet. Before long, everything will be fully "transparent" and insurance companies will work to be deputized so they can issue tickets/rate increases/cancellations all based on driving style.
                    At least basing it on driving style makes a hell of a lot more sense than basing it on credit scores and zip codes!

Comment

Can't they get the same data from your cell phone? I mean when it's moving at 80 mph, it's pretty obvious you're not on foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        Do you carry a cell phone with you in your old cars?
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

If the hardware was manufactured in the US or by an American owned supplier you can rest assured the NSA has some kind of a back door engineered into it.

With the way things are going the federal government will be our insurance company, if we are allowed to drive ourselves at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                            Do you carry a cell phone with you in your old cars?
                            sure do. Do you?
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

And that is why GM is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X