Watched a guy fill his IDI 7.3 Ford with E85 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched a guy fill his IDI 7.3 Ford with E85 today

So I was answering this old guys questions that he asked on Thursday, Friday, Monday, yesterday and today. Each day the same sequence:
    Him: My check engine light is on.
    Me: You have a random misfire. You have 149K miles on your OEM plugs. You need a tune-up.
    Him: How much is it?
    Me: $203 plus tax. (2004 V6 Escape)
    Him: Why so much?
    Me: 2 hours labor. Intake has to be removed.
    Him: How long and can you do it now.
    Me: I need it 4 hours so it can cool down and I can get it in at 2 but no latter.
    Him: (while reading my cash only sign) You take checks?
    Me: No. Cash Only. Cards soon.
    Him: I will be back. Maybe.

Ok, this conversation has not deviated in one word in the five days he has asked it so I am a little pissed and not looking at him. I do notice an early 90's F350 fueling at what I thought was the E85 pump.

So on to the truck. I go over to the gas station out of curiosity and see it is the E85 pump. He has already filled on tank and the other was almost done. Dude spoke no English. Finally got to the point where he realized he was putting gasoline in his 7.3 Diesel. I told him bring it across the street and we can drop a tank (I don't have a pump) and drain it so he can get Diesel in it. $70, we drop the half full tank and gotta dump the fuel cause its kinda worthless. He don't want to pay. Meh, whatever. I was trying to do him a solid. Takes over an hour to drop and drain the rear tank on those trucks anyway.
    Spent the next few hours watching him and his friend suck on a garden hose. Don't know if they ever got it all out. Didn't see any gas cans around them.

Got me wondering, wouldn't it take a bit of driving before it hurt the motor severely? I know its lower octane and does not lube the walls but couldn't he of driven the 2 miles to his garage to work on it or would it have killed the motor right away?

Man that would suck to buy 40 gallons of gas only to toss it out...... actually I am sure it will end up in his wifes car. LOL
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

E85 has a low octane rating?

Comment

Isnt gasoline lower octane compared to diesel? Sorry, not really an oil burner mechanic. I can fix most stuff on them but don't know them like gasoline engines.
      Last edited by LaserSVT; 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM.
      Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

lol.. i would guess it would screw it up bad as soon as it hit.. contact him and tell him his turbo is bad.. been rebuilding a lot of tc4305's lately...

Comment

No turbo. Early 90's model. Just has that giant screen covered hole in the middle. LOL

Comment

That much would cause issues. A gallon or two would most likely only blow out some carbon.

Comment

It would take a bit before the old injection pump took a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                No turbo. Early 90's model. Just has that giant screen covered hole in the middle. LOL
                oh i was thinking 93 no powerstroke..

Comment

Same basic engine, was the truck a turd or was it nice?

Comment

it was a turd

as long as they got most of the gas out, I'm sure it'll be fine
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I would trade my SD in a heartbeat for a clean 4x4 low mile 97, even toe old ones aren hard to convert to a TD.

Comment

you're nuts

and adding a turbo to an IDI does not a powerstroke make
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I would've let the dumb ass guy fill that fucker up and went on about minding my own business.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                            I would've let the dumb ass guy fill that fucker up and went on about minding my own business.
                            This. He shoulda paid the stupid tax.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                              I would've let the dumb ass guy fill that fucker up and went on about creating business.
                              Yup!
                              2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                              X