Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever known anyone who had a relative cryogenically preserved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever known anyone who had a relative cryogenically preserved?

Fun discussion time. Have you ever known anyone who had a loved one frozen? What are your thoughts?

I know a guy who is dead serious about having his 80 yo mother who has advanced stage cancer to be frozen in hopes that one day they might have a cure and thaw her out and treat her. I see this playing out is that eventually he will be unable to pay for the "storage" for lack of a better word. I would think surely they check for financial stability loooong term before they would accept it. He might even be the kind of redneck DIYer that'd use his deep-freezer.

So say you lived a long life and 80 years is plenty long. They find a cure and thaw you out to begin treatment. You wake up to find that everyone you ever knew is dead. You are still in your decrepid (allbeit "cancer free") 80 yo (or 180 yo depending on how you look at it.) body. Any current relatives don't know you or don't care. The more I think of it, the more selfish it sounds. Pretty thought provoking.

i'd rather just be carried around ala weekend at bernie's

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thought you had to build a "trust" or prepay for those kind of services. 80yrs is plenty of time to live. I would die happy if I had done everything on a bucket list.

Comment

I don't think it would be much fun to be an 80 year old lab rat.

Comment

I thought they only froze the head?

Comment

I agree, 80 sounds like plenty of time to live. On a side note, my 80 yo mother-in-law has told the family she is ready to start dating.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post

Not in Ted William's case.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
                  Nope, they do whole body or neurosuspension (like Ted Williams).

Check this shit out...
                  The Cost of Cryonics

"...the recommended minimum for cryonic suspension with Alcor was $60,000 for whole body and $25,000 for neurosuspension. The rates were raised to $100,000 for whole body and $35,000 for neurosuspension in 1982, where they have remained until now [1990].

At that time, we budgeted about $20,000 for preparation of the patient, $80,000 for long-term whole-body care, and $15,000 for long-term neuro care. In practice we often did considerably better than this, since we charged no Or very little labor to each case and basically billed supplies at cost, with virtually no mark-up to cover administration, stocking, spoilage, and Other associated costs of doing business. Thus, the typical charge for performing a neurosuspension (i.e., up-front costs, including perfusion and cooling to liquid nitrogen temperature) was in the $6,000 to $7,000 range, while for whole body patients it was in the $10,000 to $12,000 range; well within budget."
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

My girlfriend wants to be frozen. I want a Viking funeral, with a kegger on the beach.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Your idea is highly superior.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        Your idea is highly superior.
                        Instead of a flaming arrow, I want everyone to shoot at me with AK's filled with tracers.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          Instead of a flaming arrow, I want everyone to shoot at me with AK's filled with tracers.
                          Why, then the thing would never be lit! (Because, you know, AKs have horrible accuracy?)

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            It will be like Liberia, on a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              Why, then the thing would never be lit! (Because, you know, AKs have horrible accuracy?)
                              Volley fire, homie!

Comment

Working...
                              X