Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone normally service their O2 sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone normally service their O2 sensors?

Or do you just wait for the light to come on?
    I ask because so many of my customers are confused when I recommend new O2 sensors if they have over 90k and never been changed. Its hard for them to understand the scanner when it shows a slow (dying) O2 and explain that's why the mileage has gone down. When the light is on they have failed already. Its like a tire, the tread is past the wear bars you replace it. Not wait for it to blow out because you knowingly drove it one the steel belt for the last month.
    Service manuals and manufacturers want them done every 60k but nobody does.

I have had so many people come in that have driven for a year or more with the light on and are amazed when I show them the reason why the car runs like crap is because the cat is melted inside.
    I even have a nice chunk I keep on my desk so I can show people easily what happens.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Fuel filters is another one that always gets me. Cars with over 100k and never changed the filter. I cant tell you how many I have pulled off and you cant even blow through them and when you dump the fuel out of them its black.

I see this and think "Ya know, electric cars make sense now."
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I was that way in with my 94 cobra of 16 or so years. Changed the 02 for the first time a year ago and wished I had done it sooner.

Comment

330k on my o2 sensors and my fuel filter. Of course the fuel filter is non-serviceable on my truck or it would have been done multiple times. The only reason the cats were replaced was because the welds broke on the original(and the first replacement).

No codes, no problems... knock on wood.

Comment

330k on O2s..... wow. Ive seen some still read well at 180k but never scanned a 330k old one. LOL

Comment

The truck is only 5.5 years old... I don't think they've cooled off long enough to slow down, lol.

Comment

I have never replaced them on any vehicle I have owned. Fuel filters, oil, spark plugs, lube job, tires, all yes, but never an O2 sensor. Had the light on on my '96 chevy for 30,000 miles and no noticeable adverse effects. Not saying you are wrong as I am not a certified mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have just never seen them actually cause a problem.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I didn't replace them as part of any scheduled maintenance.

I've replaced them when they went bad, but otherwise its like any other part, keep until it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                  I didn't replace them as part of any scheduled maintenance.

I've replaced them when they went bad, but otherwise its like any other part, keep until it fails.
                  same here,either swap for poor gas mileage or a light.People change fuel filters? Do you change out on vehicles with a sock only in tank as maintenance?

Comment

I usually wait for the light. I am changing the engine in an 01 frontier with 95K on it. I'm not swapping out the sensors, but I sure as fuck loosened them before I put the exhaust back. Rat bastards took a torch and a pipe wrench to break.

Comment

O2 sensor is not a normal maintenance item.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Props on the upselling, Laser. That's how the mechanic game is done.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

LOL, I don't try to upsell. Its just one of those items that people never think of until the light comes on. They are a normal maintenance item. Like shocks. If they have over 80k then they are probably worn out. Several dozen times I have replaced shocks on someones vehicle that had no idea they were worn out UNTIL I put new ones in and they drove it down the road and realized just how poorly the car rode before.
                          Been many times where a customer has come back a few months latter for more work and commented how they get 2-5 more MPG.

Also if I am already doing work under a vehicle I often offer to throw them in for free labor wise and my parts markup is really small.
                          Which is probably why my customers are so happy and I am broke. LOL

Comment

Before they had self heating elements I'd agree with them kind of being a maintenance item. What most shops miss though is anytime you have a head gasket problem the and it's burning anti-freeze the O2 sensors are probably toast.

I still deal with shops that install 150k used engines and don't bother replacing the timing belts and water pumps though. You might as well go ahead and order two since it's probably going to break.

Comment

At about every 70K miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X