I am still astounded what people throw away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am still astounded what people throw away

I am not the least bit ashamed to pick up something someone is throwing out if its worth it. I just picked up a 21 gallon upright air compressor someone was throwing away. Brought it home, plugged it in, and seems to be working perfectly. Its just a HF compressor and I think the slow fill time may be why they tossed it, but still.

Over the years I have picked up countless bicycles nearly new and just had flats or minor repairs, lawnmowers, 2 pressure washers, weedeaters (2 were Echos) a shop fan, shelving, lighting, and many other things that were in good condition or needed a very minor repair. I have sold quite a few items as well. Three times I happened to be in the right place at the right time to help clean out estates where there were lots of tools and other goodies.

I know I am not alone. What is your best haul?

Last week I stopped and picked up a 32" flat screen that worked perfectly. Plugged it into my power inverter in my truck and it powered on so I brought it home.
    "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

weird. this reminds me of charlie and frank from it's always sunny rummaging through the trash and bringing it all home.

Comment

Sanford & Son
        "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Yeah, I used to be a dumpster diver, before everyone started doing it. I got thousands of dollars worth of merchandise out of the dumpster. Everything from computers to beer.

Comment

In Japan, "gomi hunting" is pretty popular. The Japanese have us beat when it comes to being a throwaway society. They repair almost nothing over there. I picked up quite a few goodies when I was there.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

The first Monday of every month is bulk trash day around here, some people put out shit when they are moving that is pretty decent. I always see people in vans and trucks cruising the streets early that morning, looking for stuff.

I think it was on FOX4 once about some lady who finds shit, cleans/paints,fixes it up and puts it on Craiglist. Makes a pretty good chuck of change every month doing that.

Comment

I'm moving in two weeks, I'm throwing away all kinds of shit I don't wanna move. I'll take a picture of all the shit when it's by the curb

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  weird. this reminds me of charlie and frank from it's always sunny rummaging through the trash and bringing it all home.
                  um no, not quite like that. It is something I see and can grab pretty quick. Not really a rummage. I forgot about the new chain saw I found. Someone had tripped the safety on it and it wouldn't start. I flipped it back and it started right up. Late on I found a hard case for it someone was tossing out.

Comment

You have to be the luckiest mofo I have ever heard of. I never see anything even remotely like that.

Comment

My first compressor I found sitting next to a dumpster in a small industrial park. It was a Craftsman, somewhere around 10 gallons and it still works today. The next compressor I found in the dumpster at work, when i plugged it in it shorted out a solid chunk of the warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                        My first compressor I found sitting next to a dumpster in a small industrial park. It was a Craftsman, somewhere around 10 gallons and it still works today. The next compressor I found in the dumpster at work, when i plugged it in it shorted out a solid chunk of the warehouse.
                        Its always a crap shoot I guess. I sat out a vacuum cleaner a while back that was for real jacked up. It was working great one minute and then instantaneously it was billowing black smoke, the motor made this horrible sound like it was strangling a cat, and the most foul odor that hung around for a few days after came out. I turned it off immediately before it blew up. I chuckled when it was gone the next day and the trash had not run yet. I knew someone was in for a big surprise.

Comment

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

My best was a hitachi light and drill I found in the plastic box. No charger, but I bought one and still use the drill!
                            Originally posted by lincolnboy
                            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

picked up a few carboy glass containers one time...worth around $30-40 a piece..couldn't believe someone threw them out

Comment

Working...
                              X